Coopers Community

IPA, a few questions

craigb12

Hi,

I'm having a go at the IPA for my first brew. In the end, i used 800g of Brew Enhancer 1 instead of the light dry malt/dextrose mixture. Any idea on how this will effect the final outcome?

Also, strangely, im thinking about experimenting with a few of the bottles at the priming stage. I was thinking about adding a little bit of fruit juice (dark grape and pomegranate) to about 10 bottles. I figured it might give it a weird fruity depth of flavour, and counteract the bitterness for some of my friends who arent really into bitter beers. What do you think? Anyone had a go at this sort of thing before?

By the way... i'm about 24 hours into the brew and i havent had bubbles yet. The reading on the air lock's changed - it shows that there's pressure in the tank - but no bubbles so far. Is this normal? It's been about 25 degrees consistently

Thanks

Craig

Ignore the airlock, it is a hopeless invention. To tell if the brew is fermenting trust your hydrometer.

As for the juice, I have never had an IPA before but If you only do it to 10 bottles and it makes it taste like cat piss then it's a lesson learnt and only a waste of 10 bottles.

I imagine that it would all depend on the sugar concentration of the juice, and the volume of juice added to each bottle.

I'm only thinking about adding a very, very small amount to each bottle, so i imagine that the difference should be negligible. I mean, i want it to taste like beer, not like fruit juice

Yes, take note of the juice's sugars per 100ml and the volume added to determine the total wight of sugar. Using a small amount of juice in addition to the normal priming rate shouldn't be too much of an issue if bottling into PETs.

Archived