Coopers Community

Bird of Prey American Lager D-rest?

Kegory

I'm planning to brew the Bird of Prey American Lager in a few weeks time. The recipe doesn't include a D-rest. Can that be right?

I had a look at the spec sheet for Saflager W-34/70. Very interesting but that doesn't say anything about a D-rest either.

Should I do a D-rest? If so, what sort of schedule should I be looking at?

I have a fermentation schedule from a FWK Japanese lager. It calls for +2C on day 15, another +2C on day 16, another +2C on day 17, and another +2C on day 18. The temperature is raised from 14C to 22C. Should I just repeat that kind of schedule?

Hey Kegory, 

I do a few lagers with w34/70. Generally I ferment them for about 10 days or so at 12 degrees, then raise up to 18 for a couple of days. 
If I want super clear beer I’ll also do a cold crash at 2 degrees for a few days. Some ramp up/down the temp slowly but I cbf, and never had any dramas.

I love that yeast, makes a great lager imo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/14/2023 at 5:08 PM, Tone boy said:

Hey Kegory, 

I do a few lagers with w34/70. Generally I ferment them for about 10 days or so at 12 degrees, then raise up to 18 for a couple of days. 
If I want super clear beer I’ll also do a cold crash at 2 degrees for a few days. Some ramp up/down the temp slowly but I cbf, and never had any dramas.

I love that yeast, makes a great lager imo.

I don't know anything about diactyl 

I'm brewing a stout at the moment and for 10 days it has been at 19c should I now take it up to 21c or 22c for the next four days?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I'm brewing a stout at the moment and for 10 days it has been at 19c should I now take it up to 21c or 22c for the next four days?

I always raise my ales by 2 - 3°C once they drop below 1.020.  Do you have to?  Probably not.  I have read/heard that because ales are already around typical diacetyl rest temperatures there is no real need to give them a slightly higher diacetyl rest.  I have also read/heard, and am of the view, that raising the temperature does not cause off flavours and should help the yeast to clean up after itself.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Diacetyl is said to produce a buttery or oily kind of taste in lagers. From what I can gather at the end of fermentation the temperature needs to be raised by 6-8 degrees to 'burn it off.'

Ales do not seem to be susceptible to diacetyl. Stouts fit into the ale category.

Having said that I've been bumping up the temperature at the end just to give the yeast a bit more energy for the cleanup.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

I don’t bother BB, but each to their own.

I only do a D-rest for lagers

• Like 2