Coopers Community

Dollar Bill Brewing wins Best Beer Award

Kegory

It's really surprising that you can find hardly any Aussie beers here in NZ. Coopers, sure, and some other generic stuff like VB. But beyond that, search hard enough maybe Little Creatures, Stone and Wood Pacific ale, that's about it.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ChairmanDrew said:

It's really surprising that you can find hardly any Aussie beers here in NZ. Coopers, sure, and some other generic stuff like VB. But beyond that, search hard enough maybe Little Creatures, Stone and Wood Pacific ale, that's about it.

Maybe there's an opening in the market. Are you feeling entrepreneurial?

3 hours ago, Kegory said:

Maybe there's an opening in the market. Are you feeling entrepreneurial?

I don't even know if there is a want for it in the market. TBH, Australian beers are not something that I think about. It just occurred to me after being on an Aussie forum that we don't actually get them here.

I haven't lived in a proper city for a while now, so imports in general are pretty rare, but from memory it would probably mostly be from US or UK. Of course the high end German and Belgian big names too.

Edited by ChairmanDrew
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ChairmanDrew said:

But you can get your beer in the grocery store, unlike us, who have to go to the bottlo. A few years ago, we went into a Pack'nSave in Tauranga or somewhere and I fell on my knees praising the beer gods for the variety of brews in the booze section 🙂 That reminds me, don't they make the yellow Tui anymore? I liked it a lot better than the red one but was unable to find it anywhere on our last visit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

But you can get your beer in the grocery store, unlike us, who have to go to the bottlo. A few years ago, we went into a Pack'nSave in Tauranga or somewhere and I fell on my knees praising the beer gods for the variety of brews in the booze section 🙂 That reminds me, don't they make the yellow Tui anymore? I liked it a lot better than the red one but was unable to find it anywhere on our last visit.

eh? I remember buying beer in the ALDI when I was last in Melbourne a few years back.

The yellow Tui I don't know. Was that the strong version, in the 500ml can? It wouldn't surprise me if it isn't sold anymore, at least under that brand. There's a handful of strong lagers being sold under various brands by the big brewers, and I'm pretty sure they are all the same thing, just in a different can.

1 hour ago, ChairmanDrew said:

eh? I remember buying beer in the ALDI when I was last in Melbourne a few years back.

The yellow Tui I don't know. Was that the strong version, in the 500ml can? It wouldn't surprise me if it isn't sold anymore, at least under that brand. There's a handful of strong lagers being sold under various brands by the big brewers, and I'm pretty sure they are all the same thing, just in a different can.

I, it came in stubbies and was normal strength. Maybe I have my wires crossed 😂

Yeah, in NSW, you can buy booze in Aldi as well but you can only pay for it at the 2 registers closest to the closed off alcohol section. But here in the nanny state, you cannot possible sell alcohol anywhere but a bottlo. We’d all turn I to alcohol fueled homicidal maniacs if that were the case. Eventually we will be able to buy booze in the supermarkets. Shortly after you can do it in Saudi Arabia 😀

• Haha 4

On 5/28/2023 at 1:02 PM, Aussiekraut said:

I, it came in stubbies and was normal strength. Maybe I have my wires crossed 😂

Yeah, in NSW, you can buy booze in Aldi as well but you can only pay for it at the 2 registers closest to the closed off alcohol section. But here in the nanny state, you cannot possible sell alcohol anywhere but a bottlo. We’d all turn I to alcohol fueled homicidal maniacs if that were the case. Eventually we will be able to buy booze in the supermarkets. Shortly after you can do it in Saudi Arabia 😀

I think the reason you can't buy alcohol in Aldi in Queensland is the state government requires the supermarket chain to own at least one pub, which Aldi is not prepared to do. It's unfortunate, because they stock a few beers you can't get elsewhere in the country.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

I think the reason you can't buy alcohol in Aldi in Queensland is the state government requires the supermarket chain to own at least one pub, which Aldi is not prepared to do. It's unfortunate, because they stock a few beers you can't get elsewhere in the country.

Yeah, they have some cheapish booze. Whenever we go across the border, we stop at the Aldi in Tweed Heads 🙂 It is about a 200-odd km roundtrip but I have a mate who lives down there, so Aldi is usually on the cards when I visit him 🙂 

But Qld licencing laws are a strange beast.

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 3