Coopers Community

Coppers lager

AJS83

Hi, just looking for some advice please. I am brewing the coppers lager and it has been at a steady room temp of 18-16c for 9 days. The hydrometer is still showing less than one. Perhaps I am reading it incorrectly. Appreciate any thoughts and what reading I should have. 

Thank you. 

8DAC82F4-4531-48EB-A391-791832FA4CE1.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AJS83 said:

Hi, just looking for some advice please. I am brewing the coppers lager and it has been at a steady room temp of 18-16c for 9 days. The hydrometer is still showing less than one. Perhaps I am reading it incorrectly. Appreciate any thoughts and what reading I should have. 

Thank you. 

You can test your hydrometer, your but can you remember what the SG - starting gravity was, it seems like your reading should be closer to 1.010 than it is.

Understand the measurement. The most common scale on hydrometers is "specific gravity." This is the ratio of the liquid's density to the density of water. Pure water should give a reading of 1.000. A higher reading means the liquid is denser (heavier) than water, and a lower reading means it is lighter.

31 minutes ago, AJS83 said:

Thank you. 

Looks to me like it is showing about 1.007. So, greater than 1.000. There is a marking above with an arrow pointing down to 1.000.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

You can test your hydrometer, your but can you remember what the SG - starting gravity was, it seems like your reading should be closer to 1.010 than it is.

Understand the measurement. The most common scale on hydrometers is "specific gravity." This is the ratio of the liquid's density to the density of water. Pure water should give a reading of 1.000. A higher reading means the liquid is denser (heavier) than water, and a lower reading means it is lighter.

Thank you, this has been really helpful! 

17 hours ago, AJS83 said:

Thank you all. Seems I was reading from bottom to up and not down 🤨

I won’t get around to bottling it until next week now, so will see if it goes any higher. 

The terminology is that it will go lower. It will only go higher if you add more fermentables, which you won't be doing.

A few more days in the FV won't do any harm.

I'd say most people leave the brew in the FV for 14 days anyhow.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Graculus said:

The terminology is that it will go lower. It will only go higher if you add more fermentables, which you won't be doing.

A few more days in the FV won't do any harm.

I'd say most people leave the brew in the FV for 14 days anyhow.

Yeah, I have always left mine for 14 days, they seem to clear up a bit, there have been exceptions, but it works for me.