Coopers Community

Fermentation

Purchased recipe of the month Coopers Chocci Milk Stout. Followed the brewing instructions as supplied. After 3 days there are still no bubbles from the air lock. Is this normal? this hasn't happened with my other brews which usually start bubbling after a day.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, raymac said:

Purchased recipe of the month Coopers Chocci Milk Stout. Followed the brewing instructions as supplied. After 3 days there are still no bubbles from the air lock. Is this normal? this hasn't happened with my other brews which usually start bubbling after a day.

Hi @raymac Welcome to the forum, I wouldn't worry about your airlock not bubbling, they are only an indication that the beer is fermenting, do not rely on it.

Your Hydrometer is the most important tool here, what was your SG (first reading)

Your brewing temperature, yeast pitching type/time would be more important. 

What type of yeast is it & do you have temperature control?

You should start noticing a few bubbles & condensation around the top of the fermenter & some yeast forming a layer on the bottom.

Maybe if you post a photo it would help.

There are so many other factors here from sanitation to mixing/preparation methods etc, the airlock should be filled to the lines with diluted sanitiser & fit firmly into the grommet.

Regards

Phil

• Like 2

Yep, bubblers often dont work due to leaks. Within say,,, 12 hours it should be developing a frothy head. If not,

Give the top few inches of the brew a bit of a stir. (Sanitise the spoon) It seems to help the yeast to get going.

And check temperature. Say,,,17c to 24c

Check again in say,,12 hours. Should start to get frothy head. A stout will often get up to 4-5 inch head in the FV.

And check temperature. Say,,,17c to 24c

If still no froth give it more yeast.

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 1