Coopers Community

Pellicle problem

Nevadan

Hi @Nevadan, I have been brewing extract brews in Coopers fermenting vessels for one year only and have now done 15 brews.  Among the many things I have seen are:

1.Each brew looks a bit different  - sediment, krausen, 'cold break' floaties, colour.  Scary at first, but the community here have taught me to 'chill'. 2. If I follow a Coopers recipe exactly, then the original gravity and final gravity are the same each time. 3. Several times I have checked the specific gravity quite early and found that final gravity has been reached by day 5. However, I have followed advice and not bottled until about day 14.

All a very interesting learning curve, and exciting when the beer tastes yummy!

• Like 4

On 1/1/2023 at 4:08 PM, Aussiekraut said:

A little overpitch doesn't hurt and doesn't make too much of a difference. More important is the temperature at which you ferment and the type of yeast. Like Kveik can go through a batch in 3 days at 35C. Others take their sweet time at 18C. US-05 for example can easily take 36 hours before showing signs of activity and Lallemand Verdant takes about 12h. Mine will be fine, I have no doubt.

My routine for ales used to be brew on Sunday, leave in the FV until the Monday after, then take a reading and if it looks good, cold crash until Saturday, keg, repeat 🙂 I did take a reading halfway through but mainly to see how it goes. Lagers are a different story though. 

You are on a whole different level than me. I'm gonna keep reading this stuff though and hopefully one day I'll be there too. Thanks again.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2023 at 7:33 PM, jennyss said:

Hi @Nevadan, I have been brewing extract brews in Coopers fermenting vessels for one year only and have now done 15 brews.  Among the many things I have seen are:

1.Each brew looks a bit different  - sediment, krausen, 'cold break' floaties, colour.  Scary at first, but the community here have taught me to 'chill'. 2. If I follow a Coopers recipe exactly, then the original gravity and final gravity are the same each time. 3. Several times I have checked the specific gravity quite early and found that final gravity has been reached by day 5. However, I have followed advice and not bottled until about day 14.

All a very interesting learning curve, and exciting when the beer tastes yummy!

It has definitely been fun. I haven't made a bad batch yet (knock on wood. I'm sure one will come eventually). I'm definitely glad that I came on here and asked when I thought that I had a problem. I've learned a ton just from this thread. Everyone has been really cool and really helpful. I appreciate you helping me out, and I hope that all of your future batches turn out great. 

• Like 3