Coopers Community

Thank you Coles. I will never shop for homebrew at Woolworths again!

BarryA

Without Coles abandoning Homebrew @ six months back, I would never have discovered Thomas Coopers Premium beers. This stuff is absolutely fantastic, yet mind blowing.

I have noticed a difference straight away by using this Black Label beer. It tastes far better than a commercial beer. The Sparkling Ale is awesome, if you use their recipe (no Sugar!)

My uncle, who has been brewing Coopers for 20 + years remarked how much better my beer is then his.

I don't know why Coopers don't promote these independant guys more.

True, the Thomas Coopers selection is a splendid thing and I have made some fantastic beers using them but then I have made beers just as good if not better using Coopers ingredients bought from the supermarket (only the hops were bought elsewhere).

I dread the day that I can't but my basics from Big W - I'm not really a big fan of my only LHBS shop or his prices - I'd definately go out of my way to support him if he made a bit more effort but instead I mail order most things I can't get at the supermarket from Craftbrewer or Coopers.

I think the reason most LHBS seem annoyed or grumpy etc, is because of online guys & supermarkets. I have heard the local guy quite often receive a call from someone having a problem with their beer, that was purchased from the supermarket. He worked at a logistics warehouse, and mentioned issues with storage, and heat affecting the yeast.

I think the method that the Woolworths Group use to divide their products across the store is a bit hit and miss. Even though Big W has the best stock in my area their shelves are often depleted. If I need a bag of carb drops I tend to buy 2 as a safety measure. Though my Woolworths (which is downstairs from my Big W) finally stocks carb drops so I can hedge my bets a bit. The day Woolies start getting LDM (another item I stock up on when there is plenty on the shelf) I will be a happy man.

I thought Woolworths was Safeway???

I believe it is but I didn't see safeway mentioned above[unsure]....but I am half asleep at the moment [sleeping]

I agree Muddy, was at the Big W today, no bottle tops, no Canadian (do they sell that?) no DME, finished up buying a Pale Ale and a Tooeys Draught, don\u2019t\u2019 know why, had to buy something. I would have tried Woolies, but alas a didn\u2019t.

Warren

They usually have Candian at Big W Warren not sure about Woolies though?. You'll pay less at Big W but Woolies have the basics and they seemed pretty well stocked today (but I didn't notice if they had the Canadian).

I only glanced at the shelf longingly hoping there would be a special on to convince my wife that is it necessary to buy something [biggrin]

If they don't, get Paul to get that marketing bloke who wont sell us "plastic hydrometers" to buy some hops in, i'm sure that we would suport him. He probably does not relise that a lot of people in this countyry don't live near LHB'S.

I think if he were to listen to "us" we could make hin a star in the marketing world!!!![biggrin]

Warren

I love buying my gear from Big W here.

All of the shelves are packed with the whole International and Original Series ranges as well as all of the sugars, bottle tops, new fermenters (im not allowed to have one yet [crying] ).

They also have some other brands for things such as crown seals more airlocks, grommets etc etc. They have almost a small isle dedicated to their homebrew section.

I must be one lucky one.

Also to the comment of not using anything but the Thomas Cooper range, how are you supposed to make your toucan stout [biggrin]

Matty, you must be in Big W heaven, Brookvale store are always and i say allways out of the very thing you want.Have been there 3 times in the last week praying that they would have some PET bottle tops, quess what, nope! I don't know who there marketing man is maybe hes the same bloke who won't sel us the plastic hydrometers??[pinched]

Warren

G'day Warren,

I believe your issue is with your local store! The Big W that I go to was out of stock of a product that I wanted, they rang me when it came in. Maybe advise someone that you wish to purchase that product. (It doesn't hurt to ask the question) Good luck.

Cheers,

Peter

The only Thomas Coopers I've done is a Pilsener and it's the only of my 15 or so homebrews that I've found undrinkable.

It was also one of my first kegging attempts - Yeah I still haven't managed to get my kegs carbonated or pouring correctly. Going on three months of tweaking now so I guess I've still got about 3/4 of a keg of the Pils....

Archived