Coopers Community

Draught Beer

StevenM3

Hi Guys

I'm looking to start my second batch of home brew and was wondeirng how much diferance is there between the Standard Coopers Draught Beer Kit and the Thomas Coopers Traditional Draught Beer Kit? i'm not looking at adding any hops and doing anything fancy yet just looking to brew a nice Draught beer

I have done a bit of searching and have found an old post that the Original series are hoped with Pride of Ringwood and the Thomas Coopers Draught is Cascade Hopped, as Muddy has already said,

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/talk-brewing?g=posts&t=1567

Can anyone tell me what temp i should keep the Original Series Draught fermenting at? I\u2019m a bit concerned about trying to keep the Thomas Cooper Draught below 18C, will the original series Draught be more forgiving?

Thanks

Steve

I can't help with regard to the end difference of the two draughts, but I can tell you that my family and friends especially liked the OS beer I made (I thought it was bonza also). I added 1kg of Dex and 500gms of LDM to 23L. Nothing else, just used kit yeast. I am about to start another batch and will reverse the adjucts and use recultured coopers commercial yeast, just for kicks!

can someone explain what a draught beer is. Is it a ale, or a lager? Is it designed to mimic the mass-production stuff that comes out of a tap at the local. I don't see it anywhere in the great books that support our hobby and even wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draught_beer) seems to be confusing (any beer served from a keg or cask). I think some of the great brewmasters that have beers aged in bourbon casks would find this offensive!! Am I wrong?

We've managed to move the word Draught from any beer served "on draught" (out of a tap) to a style of beer - lager. Australia may be the only country using the word in this way???

I guess this came about when the big breweries realised the customer wants to drink the same beer that they drink at their local or at least identify with the same branding.

Steve

I can't help with regard to the end difference of the two draughts, but I can tell you that my family and friends especially liked the OS beer I made (I thought it was bonza also). I added 1kg of Dex and 500gms of LDM to 23L. Nothing else, just used kit yeast. I am about to start another batch and will reverse the adjucts and use recultured coopers commercial yeast, just for kicks!

Thanks Trusty

I think i will user your recipie, and ill give the Thomas Coopers Draught a try over the winter when i can keep things a bit cooler

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Archived