Coopers Community

Rye lager

Aussiekraut

Going through my malt stock, I noticed I still had a kilo of rye I bought some time ago but never used (it's vacuum sealed). Now I am thinking of making a rye lager. The added spiciness and crispness the rye brings in should work well with a lager with a decent amount of sweetness. So I am thinking if using pilsener or pale malt, a good helping of Munich and maybe a kilo of rye. Hopped with some nobles for something like 30ibu.

However I heard a lot about stuck mashes and sparges because rye apparently makes things a little "gummiish". I know some here have used rye in the past and would like to get some feedback on this. I read stepped mashes help and of course a good helping of rice hulls to loosen up the grain bed.

Any suggestions?

• Like 2

No stuck anything when I BIAB, so your malt pipe should be okay???

I have made a rye lager - a long time ago, I recall it was good. Rye is good, goes in any beer

5.00 kg          Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC)                    Grain         4          72.5 %        3.26 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         5          14.5 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         6          7.2 %         0.33 L        
0.25 kg          Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC)                 Grain         7          3.6 %         0.16 L        
0.15 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         8          2.2 %         0.10 L        
19.00 g          Sticklebract [13.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min     Hop           9          25.1 IBUs     -      
  • Like 1