Coopers Community

Coopers Yeast

weggl

Paul, I have done what your sticky says but I did it with 1 long neck. I then made a Pale Ale with the yeast and retained the yeast from the bottom of the fermenter and have used some of this yeast to make starters for 3 more brews. Is this practice ok and can you use this method from the yeast from the 2,3 and fourth brews?

Warren

If yeast has been sitting on the bottom of the fermenter for say a week after fermenting has stopped, is it better to reactivate the yeast before placing it in the fridge, if so should it be placed in the fridge while it is still active?

Warren

[rightful]

I guess others on this forum would have mentioned this before.

Why not when you are drinking your own beer brewed with Coopers cultured yeast, just leave say 1/2 a glass in the bottle throw in some pre mixed Dex & boiled cool water, shake it up and seal with glad wrap. When you drink the second do the same and pour it into the first bottle. This should make a starter. This would save all the messing around with yeast washing, top cropping and the like, it would also save the cost of buying Coopers commercial ale. We would always have a constant supply of good yeast.

Just a thought. [biggrin]

Warren

You only need to save the dregs if youwanted to use the method you mention Warren - Halfo a glass is wasteful of good beer [rightful]

As for the cost of buying Coopers commercial ale, it is best to look at it this way, it is the only yeast that comes with free beer [innocent]....and if you get longnecks you get some fine strong bottles to boot.

Which reminds me, I haven't mentioned that I dropped a Coopers longneck bottle when bottling just over a week ago. The bottle hit a combination of my little toe and the hard concrete floor. T

The result?

One broken toe! (But don't worry, the bottle was fine -I should have worn my steel capped thongs that day [biggrin]).

Made many a yeast starter from my own bottles of brew. The most recent example of this is my LMW brew (brewed 3 times so far) with the intitial batch using a yeast cutlure from a 6 pack of Baron's Lemon Myrtle Witbier. [cool]

Keep in mind that every generation has a good chance of an increased amount of wild yeast and other organisms.

I take your point Paul, but in every 30 bottled batch there is 30 fresh yeast starters. so if you were to say brew 3 batches out of the original cultures yeast starters you would have the capacity of 90 fresh yeast starters.The mind boggles. [rightful]

Warren

Muddy, sorry to hear about your toe, but the steel capped thongs may have had a detrimental effect on the bottle. If you have been using my method with PET's your toe would have been fine not to mention the bottle.

But i love all your advice, especialy the undies strap.

Archived