Coopers Community

Beer & Food - Food & Beer combos

...'story Horse?

Perhaps this has been gone over before but here goes anyway.

The other night I came home and opened one of my Coopers Stouts and noticed there was some left over very rich fruitcake which is not something I would normally have with a beer but it was late and I was hungry. Well my goodness was it a delicious combination. It was so good that I could not stop.

I have over the years been casually looking for food that would compliment my stout but never really found anything. There is, as they say about porter at home 'eating and drinking in it' and is "a meal in itself'. Anyway admittedly I was very hungry and tired and it was a beautiful warm starlit night as I sat on the deck listening to Rory Gallagher but 'homemade fruitcake + stout is the biz. Anyone else got any interesting food beer combinations they like.

If you want a better experience John' date=' you (or your wife/girlfriend) should make a christmas pudding using coopers stout, my wife does and Mmmm..Mmmm..Mmmmmmmmmmmmm![/quote']

I Want that recipie!!!!!!!!

Any chance you can post it on here??

Anyone else got any interesting food beer combinations they like.

Stout goes well with richer food and the kind of belly warming food originating from the colder climates of the world (Goulash, stews etc.). Conversely it also goes well with vanilla ice cream [love]

A lot of publicity goes into matching food and beer these days but I think you also have to match climate with beer too. I came across a European Bar in the north of Thailand last week. I tend to avoid all tourist bars when I am there but the word "Duvel" caught my eye on their signage and I had to have a closer look. It turns out that they had a who's who of fine belgian and german beers on their menu at surprisingly reasonable prices. My initial excitement gave way to the realisation that in the muggy 38C temps (It is meant to be cool season!) that I really didn't have an appetite for these kinds of beers. I only felt like an ice cold Singha (I realise most people think this is a crap beer).

I guess I match my beer to the weather because I don't really eat western food and most of my food would probably suit a lager...but I'm more of an ale man.

I really don't know where I am going with this post so I might give up now [unsure]

I know exactly what you mean Muddy, matching the beer with the weather. Also the place - a Singha in Thailand is much better than a Singha in my shed.

Its pretty exhausting trying to match the beer with the food, the weather, my mood, the place, the company, other peoples moods, whats on TV, do I have to get up early in the morning, what time is high tide. Its hardly worth the effort so I generally stick to brewing stout and 9/10 times it hits the spot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Its pretty exhausting trying to match the beer with the food' date=' the weather, my mood, the place, the company, other peoples moods, whats on TV, do I have to get up early in the morning, what time is high tide.[/quote']

That's the good thing about alcohol, after a few all those concerns just seem to disappear [lol]

• 2 weeks later...

Both Dark Ale & Extra Stout are great to wash down Honeyed chilli Kanga - Babs.

Which are pieces of Roo meat on a kebab stick marinated in honey and birds-eye chilli's [devil] cooked on a barbie

Sublime!

• 2 weeks later...

I think ale goes well with almost any food ,but the other day when I got home late at night from work , I raided the pantry & found a bag of pretsels ( out of crackers) & sliced up some camembert & hey ! what a triligy !

You'll def like pit bbq there Trent! I've been doin that style since I was 8 or 9. Just put a pile of coals on one side of the fire tray,get'em hot,& put small chunks of wood directly on top. Cook the meat,whatever on the opposite side with the lid on at 225-250F. It takes hours to cook this way,but Dang! Is it soooo worth it. A cheap cut of meat that was on sale is now falling off the bones tender-n-juicy! Bake some taters with the meat,& all that juicy smoke gets on'em. Makin my mouth water thinkin about it. Some amber ale goes good here. Red ale is great with ribs!

• 2 weeks later...

Your right LeonardC2 only prob was when i did it on the Saturday the 7th my birthday i had the flu and couldn't taste it so I repeated it on Friday night, I smoked the meet while I bottled my Coopers Draught and your right was mouth watering indeed, I am now keen to try smoking chicken and/or duck.

Archived