Coopers Community

Imperial Stout

Sirkillalot

I just finished brewing the Imperial Stout found here. It was a mess for the first few days and luckily I decided to listen to advise for once and put it into the bathtub. IMG_0460.jpg

It turned out well so far though. OG 1088 and FG 1020. That should put ABV at around 9% before priming. I didn't think that this yeast would be able to get the alcohol percentage up that high. I'm going to "try" and save a few until next winter to see how they turn out, but I'll report back in a few weeks with how it tastes if anyone wants to know/cares.

Nice one!

I'll report back in a few weeks with how it tastes if anyone wants to know/cares.

Of course we care Sirkillalot [crying] . At least you can use your bath again now for playing rubber ducks and battle ships [biggrin]

I'd try as hard as you can to save some for 12 months or so (or at least 6). It usually takes a while for the flavours in high alcohol beers to come together.

Of course we care Sirkillalot [crying].

I should have put a smiley at the end. [pinched]

I accidentally filled the fermenter to 23 liters, but still got the numbers I posted up. Looking forward to bottling tomorrow. I don't know if I'm going to be able to make any of it last until next December though. I'm aging a Bock right now (only 8 PET bottles) to see if it gets better also. It's my first beer to age, so we'll see if you guys are telling the truth about letting it "get better." [lol]

I just finished brewing the Imperial Stout found here. It was a mess for the first few days and luckily I decided to listen to advise for once and put it into the bathtub. IMG_0460.jpg

It turned out well so far though. OG 1088 and FG 1020. That should put ABV at around 9% before priming. I didn't think that this yeast would be able to get the alcohol percentage up that high. I'm going to "try" and save a few until next winter to see how they turn out, but I'll report back in a few weeks with how it tastes if anyone wants to know/cares.

Of course we care! Good Gawd, my wife puts up with a lot with me, but I think if I put a FV in the bath tub, I'd be sleeping out back with the dogs - and we don't have any dogs![biggrin]

• 3 weeks later...

Just following up here:

I opened up my first bottle earlier tonight. I'm pretty sure this beer with put hair on your chest and anywhere else your missing it for that matter. The first sip I took I coughed a little because of the obvious high alcohol percentage. Subsequent tastes however, proved to be nice and smooth, with a stout like body. Normally when I drink beer that is nearing 10% in alcohol, it becomes a struggle in willpower to finish off even a 12 oz bottle, but with this beer, even the PET bottles (24oz) were no problem and I found myself stumbling back to the fridge for more.

To anyone who has not brewed this before, give it a shot, you will not be disappointed!

PS: I have not been converted to the dark side of not using the lid. I only did this for the one brew because I didn't want to sterilize the top and Cling Wrap was literally in the recipe. Looking at you Muddy...[whistling

By the way, I let it sit for 3 more days (I got lazy) and it ACTUALLY finished at 1017. So by Coopers calculations, after bottle priming, 10% ABV should not be out of the question.

On another note, thanks for all the support in me taking up my rubber duck-killing-battleship area. The wife was only upset with the fact that the bathroom smelled like a brewery for two weeks, even though I hosed the whole thing down with bleach and had the fan running constantly.[innocent]

IMG_0460.jpg

Flip the photo and it looks like Elmo is enjoying a family fun day at the sewage treatment works...

Will be doing this brew in the next month or two.

Lucky I'm single and have an unused bathtub to destroy, although I am thinking of buying a plastic tub to sit the fermenter in inside my fermenting fridge.

It's done well to get down to 1017[cool]

Do you think you will have any left for the cooler months?

I was thinking the same thing about the FG. I'm going to try and save at least 10 bottles from the 30 (or 29 now) that I have until at least July. I don't think I'm going to be drinking this as fast as I have been drinking other brews, so saving some shouldn't be a problem. Out here in Alice there's really nothing else to do other than drink beer (I don't gamble) so sometimes it gets hard looking at the bottles in my closet and not drinking them. LOL.

Flip the photo and it looks like Elmo is enjoying a family fun day at the sewage treatment works...

I don't know why, but I found this hysterical when I first read it.

• 9 months later...

Just an update on this. After sitting for almost 8 months, I took the rest of the bottles to the local Octoberfest the homebrew club had out here at the beginning of October. It was really good by that time and it almost took best Stout over beers that people actually worked on, not just dumped the cans in and let it fly like I did. [biggrin]

Anyway, it was a very good beer that you didn't really realize was so high in alcohol. I highly recommend making this if you enjoy stouts.

George, when you have spent as many days in the doghouse as I have, you will become cunning. The first thing you must do is go to your local Vet and get your yearly Distemper shot, then it wont matter. A bit uncomfortable on cold nights though[pinched] [pinched] [crying] [crying]

Archived