Coopers Community

IPA

weggl

Paul said in one of the forums on IPA that the recipe is found in \u201chow to make beer\u201d (no such section) and under \u201cstrong\u201d. Looked under \u201chow to brew\u201d and then \u201cstrong\u201d you get the info on what it is but no recipe?

Buggered if I can find the recipe.

Warren

Thank Muddy,

By the way, have you tasted this IPA? What\u2019s it like, when they say hopheads will like it, is it very bitter or is it hop flavour?

I\u2019m not over strong on very bitter beer.

Warren

I'm not really sure why they say that as the IPA done to can instructions is just as hoppy. The authentic IPA just has a higher alcohol content (as an authentic IPA should). The description is a bit misleading.

It is fairly bitter done to any recipe. Have you ever had an IPA? If not, maybe grab a bottle of James Squire IPA or similar and see what you think of the style.

The IPA recipe, as per the recommendation on the side of the can, meets all but one (BJCP) criteria for the IPA style - percentage alcohol.

The Authentic IPA recipe lifts the alcohol level to within style parameters while bumping up the bitterness by about 10%. Not sure how this might be misleading [unsure]

Anyway, the IPA beer kit remains the most applauded of our beer kit range.[biggrin]

[biggrin]

Not sure how this might be misleading [unsure][biggrin]

I thought you might have something to say about that Paul - What I meant is that the statement periodically seems to put people making it when it isn't as scary as it sounds. It just makes an IPA - and a good one at that. I've always found it strange that the can recipe is only a mid strength though but it isn't really something I've lost sleep over though [innocent] .

One parameter I worked to when developing the, then known as, Premium Selection was full strength beer using all malt recipes.

When I reworked the, then known as, Brewmaster Selection the target was flavourful mid-strength beer.

Of course these are only the recommended recipes on the side of the can. [wink]

I guess I just don't understand mid-strength beers. I'd prefer to have 2 regular beers than 4 mid-strength - But this probably just stems from my gluten intolerance and a general unwillingness to conform.

All my nonsense aside, the IPA is a bloody good kit and should be given a medal from the Queen for keeping us troops happy [biggrin]

By the way, have you tasted this IPA? What\u2019s it like, when they say hopheads will like it, is it very bitter or is it hop flavour?

I\u2019m not over strong on very bitter beer.

Warren

I drink a lot of hoppy IPAs, i.e. Dogfish Head 90 and I brewed the Authentic IPA per the recipe. Only addition I did was to dry hop with 1oz of Cascade for 7 days.

I can say that it came out really good. It was more bitter than piney tasting but I was very happy with the results and like many home brews it tasted a lot better with age. I noticed a considerbale difference at 6 weeks in the bottle.

My friends that like hoppy IPAs as well really liked this batch as well.

If I brew it again I may up the dry hop to 2oz of Cascade. Other than that the recipe is perfect.

Archived