Coopers Community

Ginger Beer fermentation activity

midian454

Hi, been lurking here for a while, thought it was about time I joined in the shenanigans.

Been brewing for a few months now, decided to put down a Ginger Beer yesterday.

Used the can, 1kg Coopers Brewing Sugar and 1kg raw sugar. Figured I would go basic to begin with and play with lemons/ginger/cinnamon/etc when I have a baseline to compare.

Put it down about 14-15 hours ago and not much has changed on the surface. The yeast have spread out a bit, but I am not seeing much activity.

I have the FV in Big Black (an old fridge I picked up and have now hooked in to a 2 channel temp controller) set at 23C.

I am not concerned at this stage, I am just wondering if anyone else has had later activity with this brew? I have only been brewing beers, but they all have been rockin and rollin after about 5-6 hrs.

Cheers in advance for your input.

Jase

Thanks Muddy, there is a bit of condensation on the lid, but with the lack of activity I wasn't sure whether it was just from the drop from 28-23C overnight.

Will see how it looks when i get home from work.

Cheers

Jase

I'm doing my first brew, a ginger beer too :) Seemed to take about 4 days before fermentation kicked in, there was the cold break, some activity inside, yeast falling to the bottom - then the bubbles went a little wild day 4 (compared to, well none) when fermentation kicked in. Been lots of large foam since...

At day 8 now, and doing third SG measurement tonight. (didn't measure my OG [crying] )

Had a sip yesterday, and it tastes great! Hopefully should be bottling tonight for secondary fermentation/carbonation.

Day 11, still bubbling away slowly like a 20 minute old pint on the bar. Measured 1023 last night (from OG 1043).

Still a fair way to go methinks, the can said FG 998 or something, but the raw sugar I used woudl bump that up a touch..

Need the fridge for another brew im putting down this weekend so I reckon I will rip it out tonight, give it a bit of a swirl and hope the temperatures out of the fridge arent too high that the give some odd flavours (probably between 25-29C).

Jase

If it is still bubbling away their is no need to give it a swirl. If you want to pull it out of the fridge for another fermenter stick it in a tub with some cold water and ice blocks in the water.

You can even drape a towel over it and have the ends of the towel in the water which will help abit as well.

hi, i put down a brew of GB today using 1kg raw and 1kg Be 1 & 4 heaped teaspoons of ground ginger, i then read that to much sugar may lead to bottles exploding, is this due to much sugar put in at bottling?(i use the carbonation drops anyways)or could it happen because i put in the extra 1kg of Be 1?

this is my second try at GB i used a cheaper brand from bigw first time and it was truely horrific!!

hi, i put down a brew of GB today using 1kg raw and 1kg Be 1 & 4 heaped teaspoons of ground ginger, i then read that to much sugar may lead to bottles exploding, is this due to much sugar put in at bottling?(i use the carbonation drops anyways)or could it happen because i put in the extra 1kg of Be 1?

this is my second try at GB i used a cheaper brand from bigw first time and it was truely horrific!!

The bottlers exploding is if you put too much sugar in at bottling stage or you dont let it fully ferment before bottling.

If you wait till it finishes fermenting (Same reading over consecutive days) and then add 1 carb drop per stubbie or 2 carb drops per long neck their will be nothing to worry about.

• 2 weeks later...

Midian454 i've basically did the same as your recipe, i bottled after 9 days as SG was 1020 after 3 days, mine is very dark not clearing and also seems to have a few floating sediment bits at the top, how has yours gone? anyone with any thoughts, ta.

Archived