Coopers Community

Return to brewing - Toucan

Foresooth

8 minutes ago, Foresooth said:

Put my next brew down today, again using up stuff I had.

1 Can of Coopers Stout 1.7kg

1 can of Coopers Dark beer 1.7kg

Suspect krausen will be big but at 17L there should be plenty of room

hopefully it's spectacular!

Well, at that pitching temp the krausen took off overnight - it hit the top of the fermenter, and that is with only a 17L fill.  Currently 21.3 degrees but given the warm weather here I am concerned about it getting warmer later today.  Not much I can do as I don't have any refrigeration capacity.

Will check SG later today.

This morning the krausen had come out the top of the fermenter past the airlock.  So very active as a result of rising to 27.3 degrees yesterday arvo, given it was a warm day.  

Today it is cooler and the temp is about 22.4.  SG is 1020 today so it is fermenting quite well.

Not sure where it should end up, perhaps 1013-1015?  Or perhaps lower?

Any thoughts?

2 hours ago, Foresooth said:

This morning the krausen had come out the top of the fermenter past the airlock.  So very active as a result of rising to 27.3 degrees yesterday arvo, given it was a warm day.  

Today it is cooler and the temp is about 22.4.  SG is 1020 today so it is fermenting quite well.

Not sure where it should end up, perhaps 1013-1015?  Or perhaps lower?

Any thoughts?

You would probably hope for lower I would think 1.010 - 1.012 probably would be ideal, if you at day 10 personally I would give it 3-4 days longer.

Hi CBC - only on Day 3 yet so plenty of time to go.  Has worked pretty fast so far and maybe it will come down to 1010-1012.

I'll keep you posted.

But I am enjoying getting back to brewing despite almost having given up drinking.  Oh well, I will be able to enjoy an occasional result of my efforts and my mates will do well out of it.

Looking forward to the next step up - all liquid malt and trying different hops, then later on to partial mashes again.

• Like 3