Coopers Community

Craft beer all dark

I have purchased a craft brew kit after doing the standard brew kit for over 4 years.  I got 4 different brews, Diablo, Harvest, Long Play and Bewitched, which are all types of pale ales and amber ales. I followed the video and just added mixture and water.  All are very dark in colour, more like a stout, when made and none taste that great.  How do I make them lighter and hopefully taste a bit better.

11 hours ago, Grabam said:

I have purchased a craft brew kit after doing the standard brew kit for over 4 years.  I got 4 different brews, Diablo, Harvest, Long Play and Bewitched, which are all types of pale ales and amber ales. I followed the video and just added mixture and water.  All are very dark in colour, more like a stout, when made and none taste that great.  How do I make them lighter and hopefully taste a bit better.

Hey Grabam, Welcome to the Forum.  Most of the Craft kits are dark, as you say.  I guess it is because they are trying to copy craft beers that are often a bit darker and more complex than lagers and draughts.

You could try diluting them a little bit more than the standard 8.5 litres.  Maybe add some of the lightest light dry malt you can find.  The Mr Beer Golden Ale seems pretty pale.  I have not used it but there have been a few photos on here.

I have done a few of the Coopers Craft recipes.  Some good examples to try to mix it up a bit are: Bird of Prey American LagerGreat Lakes IPASchool of Hops - Cascade and Yellowfin IPA.  These are not necessarily lighter, but I liked their taste.