Coopers Community

Watery Australian Pale Ale

CarlF

Hi all. I'm trying to get a similar taste to the commercial Coopers Australian Pale Ale. I realise it's very difficult to get an exact match but I was hoping to brew something similar or close to the commercial product. I've made my brew as per instruction on the can. It turns out my brew has the hints of the real stuff but tastes very watery and diluted. Does anyone have any suggestions to get it to taste like the real thing? Should I add LDM or should I use a toucan recipe? Recipe I used:

1 can Coopers Australian Pale Ale

1kg BE2

Made to 23 litres.

OG 1036

FG 1010

Fermented in November in Sydney so room temperature of around 26 degrees.

Conditioned in bottle for six weeks.

Regards, Carl.

I have an Australian Pale Ale that was brewed around the same time. I think it tastes very close to it acually and not watery at all. Just looking at my notes my OG was more like 1042 and the temperatures I used where more around 20C.

Maybe just leave it into the cupboard for another month and then have a taste.

G'day Carl, welcome to the Brewers Guild!

The alternate recipe, on pg2 of the instruction leaflet, might be worth a crack - 500g Light Dry Malt and 250g Dextrose/Sugar.

The toucan recipe - 2 x Australian Pale Ale Beer kits to 25 litres and pitch both sachets of yeast - comes up nicely.

Commercial Coopers Pale Ale has bittering hops only (Pride of Ringwood).

To get even closer to the real thing, you could try using our commercial ale yeast.

Also, when we suggest a temperature range for fermenting always try to stick to the lower end of the scale. [wink]

I'm going to be making the Coopers Aussie Pale Ale kit within the next week. For additional ingredients I have 500g light dry malt extract, a packet of BE2 and a packet of BE1 to choose from. Could someone recommend a combination to use with the kit? I was thinking maybe 250g BE2 and the 500g of dry malt extract? Or would it be best to just use the 1kg BE2?

Archived