Coopers Community

Dryish hopping

EvanS1

I suspect this topic has been done to death but just wondering if dry hopping can be sped up if you haven't the time (or organisation) to wait 2 weeks.

Will pouring boiling water over the hops just prior to chucking them in speed things up or kill off the aromatics? I'm using cascade if that makes any difference...

I'm dry hopping a batch of Coopers IPA right now with 1oz of Cascade pellets. I waited 7 days then tossed them in a sanitized nylon stocking and its been in the primary fermentor for approx. 10 days.

I have to say, even using this method and waiting, I don't notice that much additional hop aroma in my gravity samples.

• 1 year later...

Hi all - my first post!

I know its an old topic, but it's an interesting one!

After a year's break from brewing (courtesy of a disappointingly bland 'Munich blonde' from another manufacturer)I brewed up the Parity Amber Ale recipe from the coopers website), it specifies 30g of Cascade pellets after 3 days of primary fermentation. I figured that it would be a waste to use just 30g from a 50g pack, so threw it all in! And boy did I get additional hop aroma in my gravity samples! there was a bit of a hot spell, so 6 day primary at 24 or so degrees. After 2 weeks of secondary, still resinous and hoppy (but good!!!!!!), after another week it has settled down and is fantastically smooth and richly balanced. So for my (better late than never!) 2 cents worth, more hops is better[happy]

Welcome back Andrew!

more hops is better

It really depends on what you want in your beer, the style and your personal tastes etc etc.

But there is a limit you will reach where more is not better. The extra hops may produce a grassy or resin type flavour. Or may just overpower the beer and be all emcompassing.

However it is good to experiment.

Also, you can store unused hops in freezer for a lengthy period and use them in another brew. Keep them in an air tight container or ziplock bag. No need for wastage [rightful]

Archived