Coopers Community

Earwig in fermenter when cleaning tank.

johng12

Hello all, great forum.

I have a question!!!

I found an earwig floating in the remains of my latest batch of coopers pale ale while cleaning out the tank.

After doing nearly 100 brews and never having an infected brew i was a bit shocked to see this little fellow in the bottom.

There was no off smell when bottling so my question is what effect would this little insect have on the brew.

I quess he would have drowned after entering the tank, while i was filling with water. Thats the only time i could think he has got in there.

Ps I might have to call this one Earwig Pale Ale !!!

Sorry if ive posted in the wrong section.

You will know at what stage the earwig fell in by inspecting it closely - if it drowned after the yeast has produced alcohol it will be smiling [biggrin]

One small critter may have little to no effect.

How did it taste? If you didn't taste it prior to bottling maybe crack a bottle open and have a taste.

I remember sharing a bottle of red wine with my wife - a cabsav with a few years bottle age from Tasmania. It tasted a little peculiar but not so bad that we would tip it down the drain. Poured the last glassful and something plopped into the glass - a HUGE black spider [surprised [sick]

Now I decant most bottles of red wine...

John,

You didnt tell us how much the level of the brew dropped while he was in there...couldn't have been too thirsty!!

Paul, I could say that's what you get for drinking foreign wine!! (Sorry..had to put that in, living in the Barossa & working in a vineyard) [biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived