Coopers Community

Recipe suggestions in the summer

SamP3

Hi guys, I'm new on the brewing scene and was looking for recipe suggestions in a Melbourne summer, as I don't have anywhere indoors to store my fermenter. Was looking for something in the way of a Bitter or a Stout recipe, any favorites out there you could suggest?

We kinda hope that brewers treat the fermenting tub like one of the family. [pinched]

Indoors is more likely to help with appropriate, stable temperature. It doesn't take up that much space. Are you not even able to fit it in the corner of a room??!! [sideways]

My fermenting tub is banished to the garage but it sits in an old fridge, which helps to keep temp' stable.

Alright Sam, now that the fermentor is inside I'll give you an easy but good stout recipe. It'll give you something similar to Coopers best Extra Stout [love]

Best Extra Stout

(Recipe originally from PB2)

1.7kg Coopers Original Series Stout

1.7kg Coopers Original Series Dark Ale

1kg Dextrose

Made to 23 litres

Both sachets of yeast (re-activated Coopers yeast culture)

Ferment at 18C

Be prepared for "foaming over" during the first couple of days.

Try starting the brew at about 18L then top it up to 23L once the foam has died away (normally after a couple of days). Fill gently with cooled boiled water, no stirring. You want to minimise the amount of introduced oxygen at this stage.

Highly recommended [biggrin]

Going to try this brew out tomorrow, any herbs or anything you guys would recommend chucking in as well?

I'll keep an eye on the volcanicity (fairly sure that's not a word), I'll be keeping a plastic tray under it anyway so I can chuck an ice thingy on top to cool it down a little.

Thanks for the help fellas. Getting a second kit tommorrow, fallen for this home-brew stuff pretty bad hahahaa.

Archived