Coopers Community

A coupla questions??

GregT5

I have put down a non alcoholic ginger beer brew. It has been in the bottle for a week & has a bit of a sediment ring around the neck of the bottle. Anyone else had this? Is it normal?

Second question...I want to do a stout brew ready for next winter & have been trawling this forum. The toucan recipe looks like the way to go. How do you add the extra water after things have subsided without risk of infection. (Insert apology to Muddy here...I use an airlock!) I am relatively new to home brew so there may be more of these questions in the future....you have all been warned..sorry

Greg

Thanks Muddy, I appreciate your expertise. At the moment have only done an Aussie Lager (from the kit) & the GB. Basically doing it by the book at the moment but reading the forum I want to get a bit more experimental. So any info I can glean is welcome. Hardest part is being patient enough waiting for brew to condition. Patience & thirst are on a collision course at the moment[sad]

yeah agree with muddy as always he's right the ginger beer i have made is non alco but has been siting since late august but still has a little sediment on the bottom but tastes unreal but if ya listen to muddy pb2 and a few others mate you won't go wrong they have always answered my q's some stupid ones but got the right info [cool]

Primary fermentation for the non-alcoholic version of Ginger Beer is in the bottle. The ring is the same kind of thing you would see on the wall of the fermenting tub. After about 7 days in the bottles, give them a swirl to dislodge the ring, if you like [biggrin]

The risk of spoilage when adding water, to a fermenting brew is minimal - assuming the water is potable and free of chlorine odour.

Mind you, all brews we make carry some amount of spoilage organisms, see here.

Archived