Coopers Community

Coopers ESVA

ChristianN

Harrow!

Wondering if anyone has got a finished batch of the ESVA from the recipe section?

I was in Adelaide a couple of weeks ago and tried the latest ESVA on tap and fell deeply in love. I've got everything I need to do the clone in the recipe section.

Any results/advice/general banter on the subject?

I've been having the odd XSVA from my 1st batch of the brew. I couldn't get Nelson so used goldings, but it's not that prevalent in the end result, I guess due to the overwhelming alcomohol presence! I haven't tried the 2010 edition, but have some 2009 stubbies, and mine is pretty close! I'm impressed with this brew, as were my mates who had a few when at my place for the final regular season match in the NRL. As Mudlark says, they will be prime drinking in 12 months, if there are any left!

I also have a batch of Irish ale and unreal ale which I am sneaking the odd longy of every now and then.

All three are good drinking!

Excellent - I was going to let it condition for quite a while and sample along the way.

Worth pushing back the hopping schedule for a few days? I managed to get the 'last' pack of nelson sauvin.

Did you use the kit yeasts? I'm too cheap to buy a harvest some coopers. No issues?

• 3 months later...

I made a back a few months back and tried one over Christmas and gave a mate a bottle as well

wow it is real nice and I would have to say one of the best brews that I have done so far [biggrin]

think I need to do another one or 2 batches as I don't think it is going to last long

I am collecting tallies for this project. As I am going to mature for as long as possible I figured I'd use tallies as I won't need so many. [biggrin] The good thing is when I am away from home I grab a bottle of coopers and the bottle comes home...[happy]

Excuse the ignorance of a partial tea total, but what is ESVA & XSVA?

You see I\u2019ve just been through a conversion experience with Muddy and my prior knowledge of beer was just something you got preferably out of a tap in the pub, that you drank icy cold and if it tasted good you had some more, not caring much for the brand.[love]

Warren

Coopers extra strong vintage ale, available as a commercial bottled beer (may take a little effort to find) and as a great HB recipe on this site. I've recently brewed it as per recipe and it's a really really fine brew (assuming you like the high alcohol, high bitterness, and strong hop aroma style!).

Excuse the ignorance of a partial tea total, but what is ESVA & XSVA?

You see I\u2019ve just been through a conversion experience with Muddy and my prior knowledge of beer was just something you got preferably out of a tap in the pub, that you drank icy cold and if it tasted good you had some more, not caring much for the brand.[love]

Warren

here is the link http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/strong/extra-strong-vintage-ale

the commercial version is one of my fav. beers however once seeing the recipe I just had to make it, it was the 3rd brew that I made

I am currently (as in, while typing this) drinking this exact recipe, with Wyeast 1056 used for the yeast. It's been in the keg two days. I was drinking it last night as well. I'm quite certain I will not know how good it is in 12 months time. Possibly not even 2 weeks time. It'll be gone.

The original 2010 ESVA I regard as the best beer I've ever tried. Along with the 2009 and earlier Vintages that is. I do not have the will power to age this stuff.

This clone is a damn fine drop too.

Off to pour another one....

Nice one Simon! and Welcome to the Brewers Guild!!

I figure 1056 will do good things for emphasising hop aroma/flavour but may not give the fruity esters that the commercial yeast culture throws.

Would be interesting to hear what you think of it by making the same recipe with the recommended yeast. [biggrin]

Archived