Coopers Community

Flavoring brews

MattC10

It's posible to do whatever you like Matt. As I mentioned in another thread I am somewhat prepelxed by a pumpkin beer ( not in a bad way - I just can't imagine what it would taste like - As far as I know we don't get pumpkin beer in Australia).

Are you after extract recipes or kit based ones? Let us know what you like (other than pumpkin beers - that just blows my min d[biggrin]) and we may be able to give you some of our tried and true recipes (along with the odd dodgy one [lol] )

G'day all.

Reading about flavouring brews has got my mind ticking over...

I have only recently taken up HB'ing, but am keen to start experimenting.

I am toying with the idea of a "Jaffa Stout" - A Coopers stout, possibly the Irish Stout, with 500gm LDM, 300gm Dex and the zest of a couple of oranges to give it that "Jaffa" flavour when combined with the chocolate in the Stout.

What are your thoughts, especially with regard to exactly how to introduce the orange into the brew. I'm thinking of putting the LDM and Dex into pot on the stove, bring to boil and then throw in the zest into the mix and turn off heat.

Please let me know your thoughts [joyful]

Ewww Crouchy...I think I just vomited a bit in my mouth [lol]

Maybe I need to give it some time to sink in but I don't reckon Jaffa and beer should be in the same sentence let alone the same glass. Chocolate maybe but Jaffa no.

Just my initial thoughts...curious to see what others think though.

Made a choc-orange wheat beer using 150g of Roasted Malt and 100g of Choc Malt, 35g Orange Zest, 20g Coriander Seed. Fermetned with WB-06.

Tasted it out of bottle and thought it was a bit short on orange character - so for your own recipe perhaps increase the Orange Zest and Coriander to 50g and 30g respectiviely.

Knowing that I had a whole keg of the stuff, an addition of 1/3 cup of Cointreau to the keg really lifted the orange character and it was a hit! [biggrin]

Hi Muddy, I really appreciate your responding! Ashame you don't get any pumpkin brews down your way. I live in New York, and there are a lot of local breweries in the city and upstate that put out some very nice ones. The pumpkin flavor is subtle, more in the aroma actually, and there is a mildly sweet spiciness to it. When you put your nose in a glass the scent really evokes autumn! I am open to trying all grain brewing someday, but I honestly get such a kick out of the extract kits right now. I'd like to start experimenting with them. I'm a big fan of brown ales and black lagers. Some flavorful brews that I've enjoyed recently were wheat beers infused with citrus (orange), even blackberries. I am considering ordering a wheat beer extract kit. Do you think this is a suitable brew to add flavors to? If not what do you recommend? Also, what are some ingredients that you have added? And how did you prepare them?

Hi Matt - I'll have to head to the big apple one day and get some Pumkin Beer.

I usually do the Orange Peel and cracked coriander seed thing with my Wheat beers - I haven't really experimented with them much as they always turn out so good. I aim for a Hoegaarden style but it has been a while since I have had a real one so I'm not sure if I even get close [lol]

1 Can of Coopers Wheat Beer

1.5L Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt (or about 1kg of dry wheat malt)

15g of cracked coriander seed

2-3 Tbsp Orange zest

Boil the wheat malt, orange zest and coriander seeds in a couple of litres of water for about 15 mins. Strain into fermentor and add the Coopers Wheat Beer can. Mix and top up to 21L - Yeast Safale WB-06. Ferment at 18C or therabouts.

I think PB2 has posted some interesting things he's done with wheat beers but I'm not sure where [pinched]

After reading my post again Muddy, I did make it sound a little sickly! I guess what I'm after is just the addition of orange flavours to the already present choc/malt/coffee flavours of the stout.

Thanks for your help Paul, I'm looking forward to trying this one, I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Hi Muddy and thanks for the recipe! Your feedback is really helping me to grow and explore new things \u2014 I appreciate your encouragement! One question about wheat beers: do they ferment at lower temps than the lagers that I have been making? I do not think I can achieve and maintain a temp of 18C in my basement where my setup is. Will it ferment at around 22-24C?

Hi Matt,

Wheat beers are brewed at the ale end of the scale (ie. Higher temps)whereas true lagers are generally fermented between 9 & 13C depending on your preference. Fermenting at 22-24C would be at the upper range of recommended fermentation temperature for WB-06, which is 15C \u2013 24C (59-75F). Some people tend to use ferment wheat beers at the higher end of the recommended temp range as it is said to produce more banana-clovey esters. I'm yet to try this and tend to go fro 18C or 20C depending on my mood [biggrin].

You should be ok to give it a go in your basement but maybe look at ways you can keep the temp down a bit. If you haven't already seen it have a look at the BREWING FAQs for some ideas for temp control. I use a temp controlled fridge these days which makes things very easy and is much recommended if it is within your means. Even a broken fridge with some frozen bottles of water inside is an effective temp controller.

Also, make sure you read around a bit as I am in no ways an expert (which others poster will happily confirm [biggrin] ) but there are some very knowledgeable people who frequent this site (special mention to PB2, the Coopers home brew guru who blesses us with his knowledge - and obtuse comments [lol]).

that recipe you said muddy reminds me of the hoeegarden from the international series ;) has any one tried making a duvel or chimay blue from that series was wondering how hard they are to make as i am new to this amazing art but am loving every minute of making new brews ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I was given home brew pumpkin ale when I lived in Pittsburgh. I can't describe it to you, all I can say is that it is the reason I fell in love with home brewing. Pumpkin Ale is glorious and Pittsburgh is amazing for beer.

has any one tried making a duvel or chimay blue

I've only done a basic Duvel as per PB2's suggestions HERE (I also added some saaz)

I've still got it in the fermentor (seems to be stuck at 1020 [crying] ) so I can't really comment how it is gonna turn - tastes like bananas at the moment but It'll probably take many months for the flavour to - hopefully - come together in the bottle.

I've only done a basic Duvel as per PB2's suggestions HERE (I also added some saaz)

I've still got it in the fermentor (seems to be stuck at 1020 [crying] ) so I can't really comment how it is gonna turn - tastes like bananas at the moment but It'll probably take many months for the flavour to - hopefully - come together in the bottle.

let us know how it turns out muddy youv'e got me curious now LOL have only done a few kits atm so wondering how the devils brew works once conditioned [ninja]

I have a response in the thread link in Muddy's post, but yeah, I've made a Duvel clone, been in the bottle about 3 weeks. but no, am yet to sample one, sorry! Will get back to you when I do...

Archived