Coopers Community

Home brew kit

GrantL

Hi, I am brewing my first brew from a kit and all is going good, well its been bubbling for 5 days now and still going so I hope its good. How do I get a sample of for SG. cos I was told not to get any air in, if you open the tap it wants to pull the water from the air lock in. Also being in NZ its a bit cold so shuold the brew take a bit longer?

Hi, I have just recently bottled my first attempt. Primary took 10 days in a temp controlled cabinet @ 24 deg C. Still didn't reach 1008. Closest I got was around 1012 FC. We'll see how it tastes in about a week.

As for your test...Open the tap and let it dribble into the tube slowly, I found if its still bubbling, the co2 inside will hold pressure against the water in airlock and not allow air to pass back. You have to do it slow enough though, if you get what i mean. If there is not enough pressure, well you're getting pretty close to the end anyway so a fraction of air wont hurt as you'll be bottling soon enough. I have also heard that the Co2 will expell any oxygen anyway (Yet to be confirmed, so dont take my word for it).[biggrin]

How do I get a sample of for SG. cos I was told not to get any air in' date=' if you open the tap it wants to pull the water from the air lock in. [/quote']

Just a thought, you will only pull water from the airlock in if you have too much water in it. Remember to fill only half way on both sides. I found I had a wee bit of evapouration from the airlock, so added a bit more water to compensate with a syringe.

I have had the brew sitting at about 18 to 20 degrees, coldest it got was about 16 at night. Also another question: When its ready to bottle do you have to do it right away or can it sit for a day or so. Just a time factor might be away when its ready.

I have had the brew sitting at about 18 to 20 degrees' date=' coldest it got was about 16 at night. Also another question: When its ready to bottle do you have to do it right away or can it sit for a day or so. Just a time factor might be away when its ready.[/quote']

Seems a bit cool from what I've read. Don't be surprised if it takes a couples weeks to finish.

My personal view is... when it's finished primary, it's ready to bottle when when you are... Don't feel rushed...

16C overnight is a bit low for the kit yeast - Take a reading to see where you are at gravity wise.

Honestly, if you are using and airlock it is much easier just to get in the habit of removing it while you take your sample. Airlocks are more trouble than they are worth - you are best just getting rid of the airlock and the lid and putting some clingwrap over the top secured by the lids o-ring. This way you don't have to worry about sucking water water into the fermentor if you take a sample or want to move it. Also, you can then see through the top and keep an eye on what is going on. But a lot of people still like to do it the hard way and keep the lid and airlock [biggrin]

There is no great rush to bottle once you reach FG as long as you are subjecting it to any extremely high temps. I find most of my beers are usually done in 5-7 days (I tend to ferment my ales at 18C) but I then let them sit for another 5-7 days to settle a bit. Works for me (May take longer for lagers).

I take samples from tap - positive pressure in the fermenting vessel allows to take out about 100ml for readings without getting any air in and CO2 left in beer usually fills the gap quickly. I haven't had problem with this method yet.

Just take it slow and watch airlock. I also use vodka (pretty cheap here) in the airlock, so even if a drop falls in, its just a bit of alcohol.

How can I ignore that? What a waste of Vodka [biggrin]

But if it's cheap, why not!

Actually I think I might go back to using airlocks:

"Darling I just need to buy another bottle of vodka for my airlock [lol] "

"My airlocks not bubbling, should I drink it?"

[biggrin]

Drawing a sample very slowly out of the tap will reduce the chance of a blob of yeast being pulled through. [biggrin]

haha the very same thing happened to me last week. Went to take a reading, opened the tap full, bang. Half the trub came out into the test tube. perhaps i should use that 'sediment reducer' again....[lol]

Hi, I have just recently bottled my first attempt. Primary took 10 days in a temp controlled cabinet @ 24 deg C. Still didn't reach 1008. Closest I got was around 1012 FC. We'll see how it tastes in about a week.

Its been almost two weeks now, the SG is stitting stable at 1.014 but it still gives a bubble out every few hrs, Should I bottle it or wait a few more days?

Its been almost two weeks now, the SG is stitting stable at 1.014 but it still gives a bubble out every few hrs, Should I bottle it or wait a few more days?

Bottle it. Your only sacrificing a few points of ABV. I find my first brew to be a bit light on alcohol & light on taste (but I'm sure will improve in time). Overall I'm happy with the end result, its clear, good colour, good fizz and a bit too easy to drink, much to my wifes horror![biggrin]

I put down my second batch on Saturday....European Lager, with tap water this time (I used mountain spring water from the Kaimai Ranges, NZ for the first batch. But with all the rain lately I didnt trust the purity). Only problem is it recommends 3 months storage![surprised Hmmm, might have to revise that one....

Archived