Coopers Community

1st Brew - 32degs when i added the yeast..

My first of many (hopefully) brews.  Did the Standard Coopers DIY kit brew with some added hops for some flavour.  Problem is the mix was around 32degs when i added the yeast.  I'd read that the yeast should go in straight away even if the temp was a little out of range (range stated is 22-27 degs) - so i did.  After that i've got good temp control in a fridge with thermostat.  It frothed up ovenight  (about 3-4cms) so i thought all was well but on day 2 the froth has died down.  Did i kill the yeast by adding it to a hot mix?  Not sure if i should dump it & start again...  any thoughts?

Just now, South Cot Brew said:

Thanks.  Yes - OG = 1039, day 2 SG = 1027

well i bet day 3 will be less ...  should end at about 1010-1008  so long way to go ... it will be fine .... those yeast are hard to kill .... they can lay dormant for decades and when condition are right bingo off they go. ...  

No, it would have to be over 40 to kill the yeast. The frothing up is normal and indicates fermentation is happening, confirmed by the hydro reading. 

Get it down to around 18 degrees and you'll get a better beer than fermenting it in the mid 20s. It may be too late for this to do any good for this batch but for future ones it will be better. 

Still, let it go and bottle it when ready, tipping is a last resort if the brew gets ruined by infection. 

Archived