Coopers Community

sour???

JaredW

Just a conversation about the yeast n the kits? i have brewed mabe 15 batches now and almost all of them have a slite sour taste to finish and i mean very faint but just enough to notice i was wondering if this was a trate of the yeast included in the kits i am very meticulous in my cleaning and sanitizing and im positive it is not infections?? has anybody else noticed this

jared,

type in what cleaners and sanitizers your using....and your methods of sanitizing/cleaning...and are you rinsing when necassary etc

also what temps are you pitching the yeast and brewing at?

paul or someone might help!

lol, and answer muddy's question too!

cheers mate

matt

p.s. how you posting these funny pics muddy?

Hi guys muddy i have brewed the same beer a few times and some diffrent ones i seem to notice it more in the lighter beers than when im doing tocan brews, my tocan brews seem to be beter than the single cans,

THirsty matt, i was using a specialized brew sanitiser cant remember the name but it smelt like bleach and i am now just using a cup of household bleech to sanitize, i wash out the fv with warm water and using a soft cloth remover all the caked on foam and yeast and once i can see no more evidence of grime looks clean, i fill the fv with hot water and let it soak for an hour,. then i empty and refil with the bleech and let it soak for an hour i then tripple rince with cold water then do my brew straight away, i pitch the yeast at usually 24-26c and the brew ferments at around 22-24c i know this is a little high and not the optimum 18 but its the best i can get my hot water cubbord thanks for the repplies :)

yes paul i do take the tap off and wipe the threads with the cloth as well the only thing i can think of is that the lid does not seal properly and somthing may be coming in via the lid thats if the faint sour after taste is infection not yeast

An old toothbrush works better for getting into the threads - dip it into a capful of bleach then brush the threads.

The problem is not due to a poor seal.

Is this faint taste more like lemons or vinegar or something else?

Try using the cling-wrap method.

after having a weekend testing my beers and brewing again i cant really put a taste on the sour i would say closer to lemons than that of vinigar but not really either, i have got rid of the fermenter lid and opted for the cling film method, i followed my usual cleaning method and payed more attention to the tap threds by using a tooth brush, thought i would have a bit of a play around and did a toucan of pale ale 1kg of be2 and 15g of fuggles steeped for 30min whilst preparing the wort then topped to 25l it is fermenting great will let u know how it goes and if this brew also has the sour taste to it[happy]

Archived