Coopers Community

sparkling ale begininer

graham

hi lads am bit of a begininer have few batches under my belt anyway have a problem with sparkiling ale i fermented it with all the recommended ingrediants for 3weeks and the fg was 1021 i no this is high i couldnt get it down so i bottled it. Should i have bottled it?have i messed my batch up?why is the fg so high comments advice much appreciated

bottled it bang on 3weeks all the bubbling had long stoped all the signs looked good...aka caking around edges and sediment at end smelled good also i bottled it into the pet plastic bottles....any idea have i messed up?[annoyed]

I think not, 3 weeks in proper temps for ale yeast is mighty long time to eat up all the sugary goodness, even if the yeast is very lazy.

Also, if you used canned liquid malt extract, word on the boards is out, that you will get a bit higher "fg" readings using those than with brewing sugars.

Hope it eases your mind a bit!

oh, and big hello to all from Riga, Latvia

bottled it bang

choice words [lol]

No need for concern, since you have bottled into PETs. Keep the bottles +18C for the first 7 to 10 days, chill one at the 2 to 3 week mark and sample. As Muddy said, they may carry too much fizz, de-gassing is a simple as unscrewing each cap "psssht" but it may need to be done more than once to normalise the pressure.

cheers lads for the advice am playing the waiting game now and its a killer .....beer bombs should be fun thou!![crying] was thinking of brewing another one while waiting so far ive tryed the larger and wheat beer and loved them any advice one a nice ale/beer/stout? was thinking the stout anyone try it?

Try the Unreal Ale recipe from the how to brew section. It's a belter! And very simple. Have adapted mine to include honey, just as nice. Next adaptation though will be real ale, 1kg LDM and 600g of honey. Lovely and malty and honeyey. Yum yum. Have just put down Canadian Blonde, 1.2kg dex and 15g cascade hops made to 25 litres. Should be ready to gulp down when the hot weather finally gets here.

Cheers

Martyn.

i did sparkling ale about 6 weeks ago, bottled about 4 weeks ago.

SG was 1060

FG was 1020

i thought it was high too,tried to make it ferment more but couldnt so threw caution to the wind and bottled anyway.(glass)

Cracked the first one last night, no problems with overgassing at all, didnt turn out that bad actually

taste a bit "fruity" and i think the ABV turned out around 6-6.5% so it had a good kick.....

Well boys had my first taste test of my sparkling ale.....have to say it was very very nice indeed a little tint of sweetness....just a little thou but i was very impressed its only in the bottle just 2weeks this my first time ever tasting a sparking ale...all good.... i decided to go for the irish stout in the end while im waiting for the ale to condition in the bottle just waiting on the deleivery and will ferment it just orderd spary malt and dextro with it...(i have high expectations of this im irish!) while im here lads ive done alot of coopers and am looking maybe just to try a different brand anyone any recommendations?something that has a good success rate like coopers!![biggrin]

Thanks for advice and comments Graham

Archived