Coopers Community

Bought a Lemon Myrtle tree

PB2

Regularly buy a Lemon Myrtle dressing that is made in Tassie by a company called Red Kelly - ironically, we buy it online from a QLD based company - it's brilliant on salads and steamed green veg' like broccoli and snow peas [love]

Anyway, quite like Baron's Lemon Mytle WitBier. Although, I think I can tweak it a bit to for a more appealing flavour profile to my taste. [ninja]

I tried to hunt down Lemon Myrtle leaves today with no luck. However, did manage to find the plant at a nursery - Backhousia Citriodora - $11 investment and plan to stick it next to the Kaffir Lime. Apart from being a native of QLD, the other problem might be that it can grow massive, something like 10m in height!! I figure it will need aggressive clipper action to keep it in check.

Anyway, I hope to make a WitBier soon, using the leaves the same way as late hops. Might throw is a few juniper berries to increase complexity and add a bit of middle palate flavour. [sideways]

Paul,

You've just crossed over to my other favourite hobby...

Backhousia citriodora can become a large tree in QLD rainforests, but in Adelaide you'll be lucky to get it above shrub size, say 3 m. It will do OK in the ground but will need extra water in summer, and it will not do much over winter (protect from any frost when young). They grow slowly here.

It will also do well in a large tub, particularly with northern winter sun.

I have one that has only got to a metre or so in 3 years, but provides plenty of leaves for cooking.

I think my yet to occur wheat beer has a new ingredient!

Cheers

Dan

Paul, as soon as I started reading your post my thoughts turned to kaffir lime and then you mentioned....kaffir lime. Sorry to go off track but have you ever tried kaffir lime in your brewing? We have a tree and use kaffir lime in much of our cooking and I've always been curious how it could be utilised in beer.

Kaffir leaves in a beer doesn't appeal. I recall a brewer, in our old forum, doing a kaffir lime and chilli lager - by all reports it was a nice beer...[sideways]

Dan, the dude at the nursery pointed out 2 other natives, similar to the lemon myrtle, with aniseed and pepper aromatic leaves - that got me thinking [unsure]

Paul, I've also got a couple of Backhousia myrtifolia, the cinnamon myrtle. It's spicy but not really like cinnamon, it might add an interesting flavour to a wheat beer.

I was also keen on the idea of the native hop bushes (Dodonaea sp), which were apparently used to make beer in the early colonial times but after a lot of searching it appears there was a good reason they were abandoned when true hops were available, apparently they did the job but were very astringent.

I might experiment one day but they don't sound at all promising, and I don't think it is well known how safe they are.

There was a James Squire with pepperberry in it (Tasmannia lanceolata) but I didn't ever try it.

Dan

Looking to do a brew tomorrow:

Have pale malt, malted wheat, torrified wheat, Saaz, Tettnanger, Lemon Myrtle leaves and Juniper berries, both added at whirlpool. The plan is to be subtle with the leaves and even more subtle with the berries. [innocent]

Have stepped up a Baron's Lemon Myrtle Wit Bier culture - after 3 days it's doing nicely[cool]

Might also carry this yeast over for a Wit with Thomas Coopers Wheat Beer kit as the base and coriander / orange peel [tongue]

Backed off on the spices, for the first attempt. 5g Juniper Berries, 10g Coriander, only 3 Lemon Myrtle Leaves - thinly sliced (they have such amazingly strong aroma and I don't want it to smell like lemon detergent) [sideways]

Also, used 15g PoR for bittering and 15g Saaz with 15mins to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Tasted out of FV at 5 days and there didn't seem to be sufficient lemon so I made an infusion with 3 more leaves and added it to the brew.

When kegging/bottling it still didn't appear to have enough lemon [pinched]

7 days later - having a taste, the lemon is there and nicely balanced with the juniper and coriander - I'm very happy with it [love]

• 3 months later...

Yes, they will go great in Mexican Cerveza - make them up as an infusion and add to the fermenting vessel on the 3rd or 4th day.[biggrin]

[rightful] Decided to duck out and get a few things while the mash was happening - had a car accident, great - so the mash(smash) is a 3hr jobbie instead of the normal 90mins...

The runnings don't taste too astringent so I might plough ahead with this one. Might call it MVA LMW [lol]

Mine was the silver wagon. Both airbags popped out nicely but I had braced and simply watched the bag inflate in front of me - hurt my thumbs slightly what with holding onto the steering wheel and the impact, would have been twice as bad if I were a koala [tongue]

The irony, Matty - I was on my way to grab a carton of LCPA, on special for $48 at Skye Cellars and I turned up Magill Rd which was one road too early, should have taken a road called The Parade.

The partner of the other driver (she is okay, just very upset) turned up and, guess what, he makes his own beer [biggrin]

good to hear that all is ok with this. Accidents are never a nice thing [crying] .

With the Lemon Myrtle I purchased a container of pure lemon myrtly from coles not so long ago and added it to a lager as an experiment. I thought I would perfect using cheaper beer (ok grandad bought them for me and they are the coles variety and he bought them at a clearance price of $1.54 in their big clear out). [joyful]

Anyway used the lager, a tea bag of super alpha and a ml measuring spoon of the lemon myrtle in 500 ml of water. Added at the end of fermenting but no real taste.

My assumption is that the dried lemon myrtle loses some of the flavour (smelt fantastic) in the drying process so a bit more will be needed next time (yup got another can to experiment with) [biggrin].

Once I perfect the amount with the lager I will move to the Mex Cev (I coach a Rugby League team and the parents gave me 2 cans of mex cev at end of season) [lol].

I am considering using a can of light liquid malt with that one.

Oddly, Lemon Myrtle is one of those that doesn't lose its character when dried. You just need to release the aromatics. [ninja] This can be done with an infusion.[wink]

Been a big day, the brew is in a cube, all cleaned up and packed away, broke the golden rule and had a few frothies whilst brewing, including a couple of LCPAs (they've changed the late hop, it's more passionfruit like Galaxy hops, still very nice)then topped things off with pizza and a mouthfilling Coonawarra cabernet sauvignon [sleeping]

Started the MVA-LMW fermenting last night. The pic from this morning, about 12hrs, shows a thin layer of foam developing.

Yet to hear back on the status of the car but I'm tipping this will be my most expensive brew ever!! [biggrin]

nt7lh.th.jpg

Archived