Coopers Community

fermenting cabinet/fridge

BrentW2

Hi, well the good news is that i have acquired a fridge to convert into a fermenting fridge, bad news is its my old one that decided to become a freezer and cost me $2000 for a new one.

Question is how do i go about converting it? Has anyone done it and able to guide me through the process? Does anyone have any plans that they are willing to share.

Before i "acquired" the fridge i had planed on building a cabinet out of MDF, insulating it with insulating foil. As a heat source using a heat pad and hooking this up to some sort of temp controller.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Wiggy

Mate i actually work as a fridgie, and i have found the best way to control brew temps is to use a digital thermostat (available off ebay for about 35 bucks) with the cooling relay hooked up to fridge compressor, and heating relay hooked up to a 100w (non energy efficient) bulb in a milo tin, or a heat mat/belt. this allows you to control temp accurately regardless of outdoor temperatures

• 2 years later...

Hi Brewmasters,Found this old thread because i think it's time in the coming mths in Qld to put a little more temp control in my brews.So would like ideas about what to buy,{pics would help}.One thing if you brew in the fridge how do you set in up for bottlein,do you remove the F.V. THEN BOTTLE or do you bottle from the fridge.[crying] [crying]

Hi Brewmasters' date='Found this old thread because i think it's time in the coming mths in Qld to put a little more temp control in my brews.So would like ideas about what to buy,{pics would help}.One thing if you brew in the fridge how do you set in up for bottlein,do you remove the F.V. THEN BOTTLE or do you bottle from the fridge.[crying'] [crying]

Hey Ash, look back a couple of weeks and you will find a thread called stc1000. i am not sure how to link it to this post. i am converting an old fridge and asked the same questions. Bill, Hairy, Lusty and Yob all posted. there are some pics and a wiring diagram from Bill

Archived