Coopers Community

Zero Fermentation.

wills15

Hi Guys,

Another novice question that I am sure with the experience that you guys have will be a doddle to answer I made a coopers sparkling ale on Friday I put in 1 kilo of ldme instead off 1.5 I added 50grms of hops when I opened the tin the yeast packet was a tiny bit opened it smelled okay and I assumed the pkt had ripped when I opened the lid  I dry pitched like I have done with all my brews  after 36 hrs there was no sign off fermentation no condensation on the lid no bubbles nothing at all so I put in another pkt of yeast and it took off like a rocket the temp was steady at 21 degrees I think the yeast was 7 grms that the tin came with have I under pitched the yeast as I have put in 50grms of hops it has never happened to me before .

Cheers.

Hey mate, I'm pretty much a newbie myself but will have a crack answering the questions ?

The hops you've added won't make any difference to how much yeast you need, they'll just add bitterness/flavour/aroma depending on how they were used. 

From what I've read seems to be a split of opinion if adding 7g is underpitching but with only a kit and kilo of ldme should be fine (anything more and you'd be better with 2 packets, or a non kit 11g packet). 

Delaying start of fermentation not ideal but if they're doing their thing now sounds like you'll get some beer! 

Good luck ?

It depends how many billions of cells are in that 7g as to whether or not it's an underpitch. It probably is but not by heaps. It's possible that the packet was ripped long before you used it in which case the viability of the yeast was probably compromised. No way of knowing whether it was though.

One thing I would suggest though, is despite the lack of visual signs it's always a good idea to test the gravity before deciding whether or not to throw more yeast at it.

Hey.Gringo, Otto.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ahh right Otto although there are no visible signs of fermentation , it does not mean that the brew is not fermenting , and if I did a gravity check then that would give me a better understanding as to what is happening. If it happens to me again I will do the gravity check .

Cheers .

Archived