Coopers Community

Fermenter carbonating

Doddy67

Gday fellow brewers. I've been brewing for years but am a newbie here. I'm thinking of ditching the carbonation drops when bottling and adding the sugar to the fermentation tub instead. Im thinking 60 stubbies per tub so 60 t spoons of sugar mixed in before bottling. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Cheers

Take a look at this site for bulk priming rates, differing styles should have different priming rates to give varied levels of carbonation.

Bulk priming calculator.

Only thing Id say re the vid is don't put the sugar liquid in 1st unless your either transferring at a fast rate (as KR seems to - big hose, tap wide open) or your happy to give it a good stir after or the sugar will sit & not dissolve into the beer.

Ive been adding it once about 1/3rd of the beer is in & then just gently stirring the beer briefly once transferred.

Bulk priming Is probably the best "method up grade" Ive taken to using & sugar is way cheaper than Carb drops!

13 minutes ago, Mikes15 said:

Take a look at this site for bulk priming rates, differing styles should have different priming rates to give varied levels of carbonation.

Bulk priming calculator.

Only thing Id say re the vid is don't put the sugar liquid in 1st unless your either transferring at a fast rate (as KR seems to - big hose, tap wide open) or your happy to give it a good stir after or the sugar will sit & not dissolve into the beer.

Ive been adding it once about 1/3rd of the beer is in & then just gently stirring the beer briefly once transferred.

Bulk priming Is probably the best "method up grade" Ive taken to using & sugar is way cheaper than Carb drops!

I've experimented a bit regarding when to add the dextrose.

Last night when I bottled I added half in the bottom of the priming bucket and then the other half after about a third of the beer had syphoned in there.

I then give it a gentle stir before beginning bottling.

I do have a vague memory of KR questioning when to add the dextrose after he posted that video.

Maybe he'll have something to add.

On 5/5/2018 at 11:31 AM, Mikes15 said:

Last time I put it in 1st I made 20L of under carb'd beer, 2L of crazy carb'd beer that prob should have burst the bottles & 1L of lolly water, I didnt stir it mind ?

mine is usually OK.

When I bottle my beer I write a number on the lid.

On the last dozen or so I write the number and D, for dregs. I make sure I don't give those away.

Also make sure they have a while in the fridge before opening.

On 5/4/2018 at 7:33 PM, Doddy67 said:

Gday fellow brewers. I've been brewing for years but am a newbie here. I'm thinking of ditching the carbonation drops when bottling and adding the sugar to the fermentation tub instead. Im thinking 60 stubbies per tub so 60 t spoons of sugar mixed in before bottling. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Cheers

I used to boil some water with sugar, chill it and then chuck it in the fv. Make sure you give it a gentle stir. This worked fine but you end up with more sediment in your bottles. I recently purchased a second fv, which I use as a bottling bucket. It’s a lot simpler but requires more washing up.  Stirring the sugar solution is recommended with a bottling bucket too! Cheers, dan

Archived