Coopers Community

23L brew can in 15L fermenter

toxsickcity

Hi all,

I have used 1/3 of a can of Cooper's euro lager to create 8.5liters.

I tried to get original gravity the day I did it and tested my house hold water.. it was 1.000

When I added the wort to some hot water and mixed it, then moved that to fermenter It resulted as 1.000 SG and totally confused..

Today, a day later I tested it again and it was alot higher, the beer was also extremely bubbly and I shook it and played to remove bubbles as much as I can and it came out to 1.0 again

Am I always suppose to Degas?

Can anyone give me clear instructions to test specific gravity?

The can states OG would be 1.038... but that's using the whole entire can and considering I used 1/3 would I assume it be 1.038?

Hey tox

Your OG is dependant on the amount of fermentables added and the volume of water. So far we can assume that you have added 0.55kg of Coopers Euro Lager and water to make up 8.5 litres. That's an OG of 1.022.

The difference between 1.00 and 1.022 should be quite noticeable. Testing the wort a day later is not going to give you an OG reading. What you have now is the SG after a day of fermenting, most likely this brew is nearing its final gravity of 1.005.

You should mix some cane sugar in some hot water and measure the SG to test your hydrometer. 200g of white sugar in 2 litres of water will give you an SG of 1.040. If you don't get that something is wrong with the Hydrometer or you technique. Like Kelsey sad a picture is worth a thousand posts.

Good Luck,

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Yes, you need to de-gas the sample for accuracy. I took a reading from a fermented batch last week, it read properly when I first put the hydrometer into it and spun it around, but then I left it sit while I did something else and the bubbles pushed it up 10 points. Shook the bubbles off the hydrometer and it was reading correctly again.

Of course, make sure there is enough beer in the tube to allow the hydrometer to float freely.

Archived