Coopers Community

sterilising old bottles

RickK

I have recently been given a collection of old glass bottles from friends who no longer brew at home. I was wondering can i bleach them first to sterilise them. Is bleach a no no. Any feedback whould be appreciated. Thanks

I mean about 12 dozen so i was thinking of putting them in the bath with a light solution of bleach overnight and rinsing and then washing them out with coopers sterilising liquid. Am i mad

No, bleach is great to get old bottles sparkling new again.

Just rinse it out so you can't smell chlorine anymore.

I use about 10ml in a 750ml bottle topped up with cold water and soaked overnight.

Thanks Luke i thought i might be barking up the wrong tree. I have run out of my own bottles so have been hastling old brewer mates for theres and some need help. The bottles that is [devil] [innocent] Have bottled over 100 ginger berr over the last 2 days [biggrin]

Thanks guys the bottles came out looking like new [biggrin] I soaked them overnight in nonscented bleach, water and vinegar. Rinced them and soaked them overnight in clean water. Tonight they go in with sanitiser overnight. Then i can bottle my 60ltrs of pompeii lager [lol]

Archived