Coopers Community

S-23 yeastcake

AnnM

I have a K&K Lager on at the moment with Saflager S-23 and I don't want to waste the yeastcake when it's finished. I was wondering whether I could put a Draught on it (as that's our favourite and we find the Lager a bit watery)? If not, can someone suggest something (K&K of course)?

A yeastcake is a snack to be enjoyed while brewing - be carefeul oo many will make you fat! [bandit]

[biggrin] Just kidding Chris - The yeastcake is the cake of yeast that is left in the bottom of your fermentor when you brew.

Its actually the "slurry" at the bottom of the fermenter after you drain out all the beer you fermented. There is alot of active yeast in the cake, and he is asking if he can brew with it. And the answer is YES!

Wouldn't the sludgy stuff at the bottom of the fermenter also include any sediment from the original mixture? I.e. it's going to be strongly flavoured as to whatever beer you put in there the first time.

So to understand what you're suggesting: At the end of two weeks in the fermenter when I've bottled all my SMOTY ale and there's a good couple of inches of sludge at the bottom, I can fill my fermenter again and it'll use the yeast in the 'cake' at the bottom?

No cleaning required in between?

This sounds handy if you were to be making the same brew one after the other.

(Forgive the dumb questions - this is a new concept to me) :)

Archived