Coopers Community

Harvesting Coopers Yeast! Am I worried for nothing??

WeirdBeer

Hi,

So I boiled about 500ml of water. Added 4 Big table spoons of Dextrose. Let it cool to room temperature, poured it into a sanitized jar and added some yeast nutrient. I then took the bottom of 6 Cooper's Sparkling Ale bottles and poured it in there. Fastened my air lock, and 24 hours later not even 1 bubble. I've been swirling it around to get it going, but its about 68 degrees in my basement where it is and nothing has grown or bubbled, or anything at the 24 hour mark!!

Did it not work?

I'm not sure if 68 degrees is cold or hot??? I only understand celsius. If it is cold I'd take the jar and keep it in your living area where it should be warmer - Plus it is easier to give it a swirl every time you to see it.

I generally use 50gLDM + 50Dex with 1L of water and it is usually showing activity after around 24hrs.

Muddy thats 20deg Celcius. [biggrin]

Which is pretty good, for this. I would have used Pale Ale because u want less alcohol in the yeast. 24hours is not long enough. Give it 72 hours. Stir it as much as you can, when the yeast is not in suspension its not doing too much.

After 72 hours you may see TINY TINY bubbles when u stir, this its a good sign and means its working. Don't expect fermentaion like in a full batch.

I understand your worried but just wait it out and check back in 2 days. [wink]

I agree with Andrew about using Pale Ale (Thanks for the temp conversion mate [biggrin] ).

You wont get much activity but when you give it a swirl it should foam up and air will gush out through the hole in the cling wrap (or out through the lid when you loosen it).

To get things moving quicker, bring the temp up to the high 70s degF (high 20s degC). Be patient, give it a swirl whenever you happen to be walking by, look for those teeny-weeny bubbles and be patient. [whistling

If you missed it, there is discussion that may put your mind at ease here.

Thanks for that. My mind is at ease now. I've since moved the culture upstairs from the basement where its a couple degrees warmer. (Probably 23 - 24 degrees). I'll keep swirling and I'll update this thread with the results in a few days.

Well after 4 days I had a little bit of activity. But yesterday at 5 days it had a small bit of head on the culture and smelt very yeasty. So I think it was a success.

I give it a good swirl yesterday and pitched it into a Coopers APA kit with Brew Enhancer 2. After 20 hours my batch is showing no activity in the airlock. ( I know, don't use the airlock, but whatever mine work) I cracked the lid on the fermenter and have no kruzen or whatever you call it. But I'm hopeful by tomorrow things will be bubbly!

I'd personally be worried but give it some time. My experience with re-cultured Coopers yeast is that it start up pretty quickly (within 12hrs in my experience) and churns through the fermentables like a rabid beast on steroids. It is lock up your wife and children stuff!

If it was me and it was still not doing much and my hydrometer reading hadn't dropped after the 2-3 day mark I'd pitch the kit yeast (or alternate yeast of your choice).

As for airlocks - the general advice is to use them if it makes you happy but don't rely on it for signs of fermentation.

Well were up to 30 hours now and still no activity. I cracked open the lid again and I saw nothing but 1 or 2 bubbles sitting on top of the wort. My basement is at 19 degrees right now. What do you think?

Well the stick on thermometer on the bucket says 19 degrees. I cracked it open for another look. (I know, I have to stop). and there was very very thin foam on the top of the beer. Not across the whole thing though. I'd say 50%. So I think its working. I will keep the class updated.

Well I just woke up, approximately 9 hours since I last checked. And I cracked the lid, peeked through the small crack and the tiny bit of foam has grown substantially. Its still not what I'd call an active fermentation but the foam that 9 hours ago was covering 50% of the wort is now covering all of it. And instead of being very very thin, it looks like it could be 1 - 2 millimeters thick now. I think were good people. I'm not going to crack that lid again for probably another 2 - 3 weeks.

Then the plan is to rack off the beer into a secondary to clear it. Then I'm going to add some boiled off water to the trub, swirl it around and then let it sit for 30 minutes. I'm then going to siphon off the yeasty water trying to leave the trub and then I'm going to mix up a Coopers Sparkling Ale and pitch that "half washed" yeast onto it. I hope these beers are good people. There is quite a war going on, on youtube. And I'm fighting for you.

The Australian Pale Ale and Sparkling Ale beer kits are meant to be like the commercial variant. As such, you would be moving away from this style if you rack to secondary and drop too much yeast out of suspension.

I'm now thinking I will Bottle Carb half, and keg the second half. That would make for a fun experiment! I'll post results. Might take some time though.

Also, I swapped my blow off tube for a airlock today and I peeked through the hole and its fermenting nicely. Not a very thick Kruzen, but there its definitely going. While I had it off, I took a whif and it has a sulfur smell to it. Not like a slap in the face or anything, but its definitely there. I hope the yeast isn't to stressed out.

[crying]

I don't want to be a jerk but that sulfur smell might be a sign of infection, but then again I don't really know as I've never had an infection in a brew. I know that the pilsner smelled a little like sulfur when it was fermenting but that was because it was too warm. So maybe it is just stressed yeast...I guess the best thing to do is stop cracking the lid and check it in 10 days or so with your hydrometer. Good luck with the brew and the you tube war, I'm off to see what it is that your talking about there on the youtube now.

Have a taste...it may help put your mind at ease (or confirm your worst fears [sad] )

Why'd you use a blow off tube? I think I'll have to look back and see what it is you're brewing - If I recall correcty it was a pale or sparkling and neither should warrant a blow off tube...better safe than sorry though. The sulfur smell sounds more like a pilsener thing - hopefully it will dissapate.

Muddy : I used a blow off because I went out of town for the weekend and wouldn't be able to check on it for 4 days. I didn't think I would need a blow off, but I didn't want to come home to that mess. So on went the blow off. Like you said "Better Safe than sorry" [biggrin]

Slag: Well basically the hypocrisy vids are directed at a particular youtube user that has it in for Coopers. The guy just says bullshit things that aren't true to try and get ratings. He literally has multiple videos totally over an hour just yelling and crying about Coopers products and the company in general. Its all BS though. People were starting to believe him though. But looks like things are changing for him. We've opened up the eyes of his viewers by finding his old youtube accounts where he goes off and does other stuff to other companies too. Its what he does. so things are looking up. I put up a coopers video last night, and more coopers stuff is coming if you want to take a peak.

I don't pay close enough attention to youtube to find that kind of crap, and If I do I'm likely to ignore it because I am pretty good at formulating my own opinion. Good job looking out for the sheep though, some people literally have the vocabulary of Bahhhh! Then again the sheep are the people that generally end up testing my patience. Generally due to the fact that they heard something that is untrue and believe it is.... I better not get started on it, I'm in the middle of cooking dinner.[roll]

Archived