Coopers Community

Maple Beer

Luthien

My friend just got back from Canada and told me there was a Maple Beer he had over there. I've been trying to find a recipe does anyone know of one?

In failing to find a recipe I was wondering if i could just add some 100% Maple syrup, any help on how to create a Maple Beer would be great.

Maple beer eh? I'm pretty sure that the company making it is Granville Island Brewery. I'm not 100% sure though, I'll have to check it out the next time I'm at the liquor store. As for getting the maple flavor down I would think that a maple syrup addition would be a great place to start. I'd try a small addition at first and see how it tastes. I'll buy some and give it a taste, if I like it I'll also try to emulate it. Ask your friend if he remembers what brand the beer was...

Here's a recipe from the Coopers Club July 2008 Newsletter:

VANILLA CREAM ALE

1.7kg Australian Pale Ale Beer kit

500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

300g Dextrose

250ml Maple Syrup

1 tspn Vanilla Paste

Yeast under the lid or an ale yeast of your choice

Made to 21 litres

I made PB2's Vanilla Cream Ale a while back but with 2tsp of vanilla paste insteadof one.

I turned out a good beer but I couldn't really taste the vanilla and I'm not sure what the maple syrup brought to the party. But a good beer nonetheless.

[cool]

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Luthien, I went the same way as you after doing the Irish Ale recipe and then tried the Unreal Ale, I decided to add honey to the recipe reducing the be1 by 500g. I added 600g of Yellobox honey and was thinking of doing a brew along the lines of Real Ale, 500g LDM, 500g be1 and 500ml/g of maple syrup.

Interested to see how your recipe turns out. Keep us posted. Not sure about adding vanilla to a beer though, do the flavours really go together?

Martyn.

. Not sure about adding vanilla to a beer though, do the flavours really go together?

Martyn.

Pancakes have vanilla and maple syrup. I like pancakes.[tongue]

Would it be wrong to have beer for breakfast?

I've been wanting to try this recipe for a while but not being able to find a bottle of Granville Island Vanilla Cream Ale to try I can't bring myself to part with $9.50 for 65g of vanilla paste. Have been told you can use 3-4 times as much CONCENTRATED vanilla essence in lieu of paste.

Will maple flavoured syrup do the job? It's cheaper. [pouty]

I'd be tempted to throw in 500mls of maple syrup, as Muddy says he couldn't really taste it but not having tried the recipe it might be better to err on the side of caution. [rightful]

G'day all, I've been doing a little research about brewing with maple syrup and what I've found out is that supposedly adding the maple syrup before fermetation will make the flavours fade as it ferments. To keep the maple flavour, adding it when priming the bottles gives the best result.

The question I have with this is, how much do I add? Do I add some sugar and a tea spoon of maple syrup? What happens if you add to much sugar when priming?

and to answer Borris's question about using maple flavoured syrup the answer is no, it needs to be 100% maple which isn't cheap :( that's why I want to get the recipe right to start with.

I wouldn't be adding extra fermentables to the bottle when priming! A s I mentioned in an earlier post, I have had a few bombs in my earlier days...the overpriming being the major cause!..[roll] ...not using maple syrup but I would think the result would be the same. Perhaps substitute the syrup for the sugar, but not both!

Will maple flavoured syrup do the job? It's cheaper. [pouty]

I wouldn't cut corners on the maple syrup just for a few dollars Borris. I'd use real vanilla too. Better to use quality ingredients and turn out a good batch of beer than cut corners an average or downright awful "beer flavoured" liquid

You could use maple syrup as the priming sugar. To calculate the dosage rate, we need to know the brix (pecentage solids) and the sugar profile of the syrup.

Just found, on WIKI and other sources, that Maple Syrup is about 67 Brix with 59.5% being sugars (mainly sucrose).

If we assume it offers about 2/3 by weight, compared to white sugar, prime at 12g/l.

[quote=Luthien supposedly adding the maple syrup before fermetation will make the flavours fade as it ferments. To keep the maple flavour, adding it when priming the bottles gives the best result.

I wonder what would happen if you added the maple syrup after 2 days of fermantation? Kind of like dry hopping with maple syrup.[whistling

True enough my dear Muddy. I would hope, however, that less aroma would be driven off if given only a few days to ferment out at the end of the process.

Although I could just make it to the recipe...and ignore the airlock. [lol]

• 1 year later...

I'm about to try my hand at a maple beer myself. A site I frequent uses wheat HME, tettnanger hops and pure maple syrup.

The recipe is only for an 8 litre batch so I'll have to increase the amounts somehow (just have to figure out what multiple to use for a 23 litre batch).

A podcast I listen to suggests using fenugreek for that maple flavour as well.

The recipe is only for an 8 litre batch so I'll have to increase the amounts somehow (just have to figure out what multiple to use for a 23 litre batch).

Multiply by 2.875 and you should have it about right. However, some recipes do not scale like this as you would think they should and you will obviously have to adjust for your hops.

Archived