Coopers Community

Recipe Suggestion

TimD1525228520

Afternoon All,

The boss is looking the other way so i will be quick:

Can anyone recommend a "basic recipe", say based on the CPA or (seeing as its winter and temps are down) the European Lager, that introduces us novices to hopping. Just last week i sampled my CPA against a longy of the real mcoy. While they are similar the commercial brew is obviously that much better flavour wise, less 'sweet' and has that hoppy bitterness that we love so much.

I have read through mountains of recipes in the other section, steep this, boil this, dry hop this etc and find its just as confusing.

Any solid, first timer tips would be appreciated. I understand they have hops in tea bags for fools like me?

Cheers

TD

Gday TimD!

Paul gave some good advice!

If you would like to add some hops your self? Try making the coopers PA as normal but get a hop tea bag from your home brew shop! I think PA has POR in it? Or maybe thats there Sparkling? POR = Pride Of Ringwood "thats a hop" Paul or someone might be able to clear up what hops are used in Pale?

All you need to do is place the "tea bag" in a jug and pour 2 cups of the boild water in and let it sit for ten mins, After ten mins give the hop bag a bit of a squish with your mixing spoon to get all the hoppy goodness out of it! No big deal if the bag breaks, Then pour the water along with the hop bag in the the fermenter and add yeast as normal! EZY![biggrin]

Good luck!

G'day Tim,

A nice easy brew with the Pale Ale can is the following. More in the style of Little Creature Pale Ale than Coopers but it comes out pretty good:

Ingredients:

\u2022\tCoopers Australian Pale Ale

\u2022\t1kg Light Dry Malt

\u2022\t2 x Cascade Hops Bags

Directions:

1. Make as per kit instructions

2. Steep 1 of the Cascade Hops bag in boiling water for ten minutes. Just do it like you\u2019d steep a teabag. Make sure everything is nice and clean

3. Add this mixture to the fermenter (hops bag and all) along with the Pale Ale can and malt and a couple of litres of boiling water.

4. After around 72 hours add the second hops bag dry to the fermenter.

That it!

I\u2019d use US-05 yeast but a recultured Coopers\u2019 yeast or the kit yeast would do the job too.

[cool]

A quick question for Paul now...how would you expect the 2 can version you mentioned above to turn out in comparison to the regular Pale Ale recipe?

Hey Tim,

If your after hopping ideas for the Euro lager, do what Josh said but use Saaz hops or another type of German hops, about 10 grams.

Craftbrewer has hops listed by countries or regions which makes choosing hops easy![cool]

Archived