Coopers Community

WORLDS BIGGEST SELLING BEER

THIRSTY MATT

just thought some might be interested in this article...

By Stuart Fagg, ninemsn Money

China's favourite beer has overtaken iconic US brand Bud Light to become the world's biggest selling beer for the first time.

Snow beer, which costs around $7 per crate in China, saw a 20 percent rise in sales last year to become the world's top seller relegating Bud Light and Budweiser to second and third places respectively.

According to figures from beer analyst Plato Logic obtained by Reuters, Snow sold 61 million hectolitres in 2008, equivalent to 5 times annual beer consumption in Australia. Bud Light sold 55 million and Budweiser sold 43 million. One hectolitre is equivalent to 100 litres.

Brazilian beer Skol, meanwhile, was the fourth biggest seller last year, followed by Mexican player Corona and European giant Heineken.

Analysts have been tipping Snow to become the world's biggest selling beer for some time but AB InBev, which owns Bud Light and Budweiser, refuted the figures insisting that Bud Light remains the "single largest brand in the world". It said Snow is actually a family of brands with some 25 products.

According to Euromonitor, China's beer market has been the world\u2019s biggest for the past 6 years. However, Chinese drink less beer per capita than most other countries, particularly the US, Germany and Australia.

Snow's march up the world beer rankings has moved in lockstep with growing beer consumption in China. According to Plato Logic, Snow sold 51. 2 million hectorlitres in 2007 and production has grown tenfold in the past decade.

Unlike other Chinese beers such as Tsingtao, Snow is not generally available outside China, although analysts say the company has ambitions to reach a bigger market. It has also imported global beer-making experts to help it craft a beer that could compete on world markets.

According to reviews, Snow is "not what you\u2019d call world-class". It contains around 4.7 percent alcohol and has a "dry, hoppy smell". "It might not be a beautifully crafted German or Belgian beer, but in a market of average lager beers, it stands above the norm," wrote one reviewer in China.

World\u2019s biggest selling beers by volume 2008 (in hectolitres)

Snow beer (China): 61 million

Bud Light (USA): 55.6 million

Budweiser (USA): 43.4 million

Skol (Brazil): 35.4 million

Corona (Mexico): 32.7 million

Heineken (Netherlands): 29.1

CHEERS

MATT

Thanks Matt

Chinese drink less beer per capita than most other countries, particularly the US, Germany and Australia

Looks like there's plenty of potential for growth in China.

Go Coopers....

im 99.94% its happened josh!

happened about a year ago.......lol ,,am i the only dude in aus who likes bud!!

its not my fav,,,but there is sumpin about it!!!

good on a hot day!!

actually maybe just a distribution contract n not a brew it contract....some one will correct us josh!

cheers

matt

Matt i found this story on the net.....

Breweries battle over the 'true' Budweiser

CESKE BUDEJOVICE, Czech Republic -- It's the battle of the Buds.

A nearly century-long trademark dispute is intensifying between Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc., the world's largest brewer, and tiny Czech producer Budejovicky Budvar. With both claiming they produce the only genuine Budweiser beer, they've taken their sudsy squabble to courts in 24 countries around the world.

Budvar won the latest round in South Korea, where a court ruled last month that the company's name and trademark doesn't conflict with Anheuser-Busch or infringe on its rights. But elsewhere, the fight continues.

"It's part of our business -- a big burden, but we've gotten used to it," said Jiri Bocek, Budvar's general director.

Budejovicky Budvar was established in 1895 in Ceske Budejovice, called Budweis at the time by the German-speaking people who formed about 40 percent of the area's population. Beer has been known here for centuries as Budweiser.

The founders of Anheuser-Busch used the name for their product because it was so well-known. The St. Louis-based brewer, founded in 1852, began producing Budweiser, America's first national beer brand, in 1876.

Disagreements over the trademarks Budweiser and Bud date to 1906.

"It's a dispute between an original beer producer from a particular location and another one that just used the well-known name of the location for its product made in the United States," Bocek said.

Anheuser-Busch, however, claims it started using the Budweiser brand in 1876 and registered it two years later, 19 years before its Czech rival came into existence.

A 1939 agreement gave Anheuser-Busch sole rights to the name Budweiser in all American territories north of Panama, but a clash was inevitable as the two breweries expanded their exports. Budvar sells its lager to 60 countries, while Anheuser-Busch says Budweiser is brewed in 10 countries and sold in more than 80 others.

"Anheuser-Busch has unchallenged rights to the Budweiser name in most of the world," Stephen J. Burrows, president and CEO of Anheuser- Busch International Inc., said in a statement.

The battle of the Buds grew in the mid-1990s after talks aimed at settling the dispute failed and Anheuser-Busch went to court.

"They were talking about a win-win situation for both sides, but in our opinion, what they offered was a win-win situation just for them," Bocek said.

Although trademark rights usually are granted to only one rival in any given country, a court ruling in Britain allowed both brewers to sell their versions of Budweiser there.

"It was an unusual decision, but consumers are not confused and are able to tell the difference between the two brands very well," Bocek said.

Meanwhile, Budejovicky Budvar remains a state-owned company in this country where beer is both a source of national pride and a major export. In 2002, Budvar posted a profit of $10.3 million, and it expects a profit of about $13.3 million for 2003.

Budvar was to be privatized after the fall of communism in then- Czechoslovakia in 1989, and foreign brewers including Britain's Bass and Denmark's Carlsberg at one point expressed interest in adding Budvar to their holdings. Foreigners already own Budvar's main domestic rivals: South Africa's SAB Miller acquired Pilsner Urquel, and Belgium's Interbrew controls Staropramen.

Czechs, the world's biggest per-capita beer drinkers, seem content to keep Budvar in their own hands.

"I would never sell Budvar to (Anheuser-Busch)," said Ivan Hoffmann, a businessman from Ceske Budejovice enjoying a pint of Budvar with friends in a local restaurant.

"Their beer is sinister," he said.

Budvar lovers abroad share that sentiment. More than 2,000 people in Britain signed a petition in August by the Campaign for Real Ale, a British consumer organization urging the Czech government not to sell Budvar because it could fall into the hands of Anheuser-Busch.

"Budvar is a unique beer," campaign spokesman Jonathan Mail said. "We believe the only way to protect its long-term future is to maintain Czech ownership."

Budvar fans may well get their wish. Martin Severa, a spokesman for the Ministry of Agriculture, said the company's privatization "is not on the agenda."

But Bocek concedes the state might not own its beloved nectar forever.

"The question only is when and how," he said.

And if your Intrested the Budvar web site is

http://www.budvar.cz/en/index.html

and thats in English.

P.S I still love coopers the best!

• 1 month later...

nah mate,,,i havent been to dan murphy's in ages!!!

only trendy beer ive had in a while was a carlsberg on saturday.....bloody nice beer!!

you know where to get this budvar josh, im interested in trying it??

cheers

matt

Nope sorry not in your state! But im sure you can get it in adelaide not that ive ever bought it here or looked for it, but i will next time i go beer shopping....anyway the other day i saw a couple of empty bottles of it on the street. Unless they brouht it over from Europe you can get it here in OZ! :D

• 2 months later...

Matt i got the Budvar from Dan Murphys today, along with a couple of other internationals i like i also got a carton of the 08 Vintage and a free six pack (that was not from dan) thanks coopers! :D Im very much looking foward to trying the 09 vintage!

So Matt if you have not tryed Budvar yet look in Dans also try some of the other beers in my pic if you have not already, they where among my favs when i was in europe!

062o.th.jpg

p.s click on pic to make it larger!

not sure what your dans is like but in the one i went to today there is a large shelf area where they sell single, 4 packs, and six pack international beers, if its international and not sold in a 24 pack carton, and is expensive chances are its good! or to make your life ezy just ask a guy/girl who works there! ;)

.......am i the only dude in aus who likes bud!!

its not my fav,,,but there is sumpin about it!!!

good on a hot day!!

cheers

matt

Oh Matt :shock: Please tell me that you'd been having a delusional moment whilst watching (re-enacting) Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison in The Doors bio-mentary!! People tell me that VB is actually beer, which I steadfastly maintain it is not - that said, Bud(weiser) and it's stablemate, Bud Light, which I've had the displeasure to try, I have to put alongside VB......

The day average Joe Americans are weaned off Bud and manage to lift a Coopers bottle to their lips instead, will be the day they actually imbibe a real beer.....

Here's to the future :D

• 1 month later...

Coopers loses Budweiser deal

In the news this week:

Coopers has lost its distribution deal with the world's biggest brewer, Anheuser-Busch InBev, to arch rival Lion Nathan.

Coopers had distributed Budweiser beer in Australia through its 80 per cent-owned company Premium Beverages since 2003 and in New Zealand since October 2008 and has spent $6 million on its Regency Park brewery in readiness for possible Australian production of Budweiser beer.

However, Lion Nathan spokeswoman Lauren Collie said Lion's relationship with Belgian brewer InBev, which took over Anheuser-Busch for $79 billion in November 2008, was a key factor in signing the deal. She expected Lion Nathan to take over Budweiser distribution later this year.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 80,00.html

This deal will no doubt be the reasoning behind releasing the 62. A European style beer aimed at people who let marketers choose what they will drink. The extra production capacity that Coopers built, will now hopefully be used to the full.

Hmm, good riddance Bud.

I choose to drink Coopers because I love the taste. If Aussies choose to drink hops flavoured soft drink like Bud, claiming it to be beer, then all I can do is shake my head and weep for the future.....

Oh, and sayonara Lion Nathan....... Does that mean Coopers will be re-approached some time soon by Kirin who have a "yen" for another brand notched on it's bedhead???

Archived