Coopers Community

Contemplating my first toucan

On the shelf I have;

2X Thomas Coopers selection IPA

1X Original series Real Ale

1X Original series Lager

1X International series English Bitter

Several KG of Dextrose, and a 1.5 KG of LDM

I've never deviated from the recipe other than substituting dextrose for LDM because I didn't have it and it was not available. I've read a bit about toucan recipes but I don't fully understand the rhyme behind the reason... Anybody care to shed some experienced light on me?

I have successfully pitched two cans + 1kg dextrose. The result comes out around 8%alc/vol. I have always used basic lager or draft cans for the mix. I figure using bitter or real ale beer may make the brew to hoppy (if that is possible) and bitter. A dry enzyme should keep the sweetness down and brew cool - long ferment. That's my 2 cans worth.

Gaz

I'm involuntarily fermenting at 19-22 degrees celcius. Is that too warm?

I'm thinking I'll combine the real ale and the lager, an add maybe 300-500g of dextrose so that the yeast has some simple sugar to work on. Should I pitch both packets of yeast? I know that the yeast that comes in the lager kit isn't actually a lager yeast, and more is better anyways right? That's the whole theory behind 2 can recipes right?

Those temps sound ok to me Mr Staggersalot.

Yep, toss both the yeast packets in (Not the actual packets - you know what I mean [lol] )

Too late! how do I get them back out without contaminating the brew? Do you think the real ale and the lager would make a nice combo out of the selection of cans I have to choose from? Any suggestions on a better combo? Am I on the right track with the dextrose amount? I'll be shooting for around 6% ABV

Be careful when using dry enzyme, because us home brewers can not deactivate it - potential bottle bombs!!

Allow it to ferment for an extended period, don't use glass bottles and don't use too much complex sugars in the recipe (such as malt extract and maltodextrin).

Too true, PB2, alot of my dry stuff has ended up in plastics, gotta be careful. However, some of my best brews (FG ~0.996) have been acclaimed as 'Brown Champagne', from glass. A better compliment (from non brew drinker folk) I cannot think of.

I haven't used diastatic malt extract. I have read that the enzymatic activity in diastatic malt extract (as with malted grains) only happens between 60C and 70C (give or take a degree).

This type of enzyme does not carry the same concerns as Dry Enzyme.

Archived