Coopers Community

Secondary fermentation?

RohanR

I just bottled my first batch which took 5 days to stop fermenting so i thought i had to add in more yeast which i did 36 hours ago.

I've bottled them up with the drops and gave the bottles a squeeze to avoid exploding bottles however the gas has already caused the bottles to resume their normal shape so my question is does anyone think i should be worried about exploding bottles because of adding the drops to the brew after having added a fresh lot of yeast?

RohanR

Hi Rohan - One of the benefits of PET bottles is that you can always release some of the gas if need be. Also, it would be pretty hard to get the bottles to explode - gushers are more likely.

Not sure why you thought you had to add more yeast - were your readings too high? You would need to give us more detailed info for a more detailed answer (What you are brewing, ingredients, brewing temp, hydrometer readings etc.)

• 1 month later...

The brew turned out great and no gushers or exploding bottles at all.

Ended up with a creamy texture to it which got me hooked lol.

Within 2 weeks i had consumed 16 bottles and normally i don't even drink except on rare occassions(i've actually had two bottles of very good scotch in the cupboard unopened for four months).

My next brew failed(sparkling ale that didn't ferment), however i'm still eager for the next batch.

I must admit that i've enjoyed coopers sparkling ale for twenty years now since i was put onto it by a family friend so i really want to brew that one myself!!!

Archived