Coopers Community

Three berry cider

ChristinaS1

Hello cider makers.

I have been reading about how delicious "Dragon's Blood" wine is, made with frozen 3-berry blend, a combo of raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries. I decided to adapt this to cider making, using an apple cider base, and adding three berry blend to it. I just racked it off the fruit and the leftovers are delicious, with some nice, refreshing tannins. No doubt this will be fantastic once bottled and aged.

Three Berry cider - 4L batch

4L sweet apple cider from the produce section of the grocery store

1.25gm of rehydrated Lalvin 71B-1122 wine yeast

On Day 2 of fermentation:

Gently thaw 450gm of frozen 3-berry blend in a bit of water in the microwave. Macerate fruit with something like a potato masher. Add one crushed Campden tablet. After 12 hours add some pectic enzyme (according to directions on package).

On Day 3 of fermentation:

24 hours after adding Campden tablet pour macerated fruit into a mesh bag and add to fermenting apple cider. Leave fruit in cider for three days, rocking FV (a 2 gallon HDPE bucket is best, covered with cling wrap) once or twice a day, to keep bag wet. Remove fruit bag after three days and rack to glass secondary; top up to within 1" of bottom of bung. Leave for another three weeks and then bottle. Prime and back sweeten with sucralose (Splenda) or xylitol if desired.

PS I fermented at 17C.

Christina:

Prime and back sweeten with sucralose (Splenda) or xylitol if desired.

Could lactose be used as a sweetener?

Yes it could, if sweetening is necessary, and it would add body as well. The problem with lactose is that I think (I stand to be corrected) it would have to be added at the beginning of fermentation, when you wouldn't know yet if it was needed. Sucralose and xylitol can be added at the last minute/priming. I suppose you could always make it once without lactose and see how you find the sweetness and body. If you want more, use lactose next time.

Are you going to try it Morrie?

I will report back how I find the sweetness and body once I get that far, but of course everyone's tastes are different. Cheers! -Christina.

I don't know that I would do the 3 berry thing straight off but the alcoholic cider side using apple juice sparked my interest. I was thinking about using some lactose in the blueberry beer when I get around to it prior to bottling. My idea was to add lactose to compensate for the tart caused by the blueberries. My understanding is that lactose is 100% non fermentable and should be able to be added just prior to bottling. I'm not sure about the taste of lactose doing it like this. I think lactose is used in stouts but up front in the wort. I'm just thinking about doing something different. The posts about ginger in normal hop beer has also got me interested. Personally I'm only a real hop person but their is someone else living here that is not so inclined.

I tend to shy off artificial sweeteners and preservatives. The commercial cider that you buy contains preservatives in Australia. Maybe I should pursue a cider recipe if it can be done based on apple juice.

I have looked around for some of those wine yeasts in Australia that work on malic acid but so far have not been able to locate anything. Mind you I haven't picked up the phone yet, just googled.

I don't know that I would do the 3 berry thing straight off but the alcoholic cider side using apple juice sparked my interest. I was thinking about using some lactose in the blueberry beer when I get around to it prior to bottling. My idea was to add lactose to compensate for the tart caused by the blueberries. My understanding is that lactose is 100% non fermentable and should be able to be added just prior to bottling. I'm not sure about the taste of lactose doing it like this. I think lactose is used in stouts but up front in the wort. I'm just thinking about doing something different. The posts about ginger in normal hop beer has also got me interested. Personally I'm only a real hop person but their is someone else living here that is not so inclined.

I tend to shy off artificial sweeteners and preservatives. The commercial cider that you buy contains preservatives in Australia. Maybe I should pursue a cider recipe if it can be done based on apple juice.

I have looked around for some of those wine yeasts in Australia that work on malic acid but so far have not been able to locate anything. Mind you I haven't picked up the phone yet' date=' just googled.[/quote']

I think this is available in some parts of Australia:

http://vintnersharvest.com/products/vintners-harvest-wine-yeast-ma33

It is basically the same thing but in a bigger package, with added vitamins or something, so more expensive. If you are only making one gallon, you would end up wasting most of it.

If you are looking for a recipe based on clear apple juice you can try this:

4L preservative free sweet cider or apple juice (preferably not reconstituted)

1 black tea bag (preferably Irish Breakfast)

1 cup boiling water to make the tea. Steep 7-10 minutes.

1-1/4 tsp lemon juice

1/4 of a 7gm package of Coopers Ale yeast

50gm honey = 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp

If using Coopers yeast, ferment at 18-19C.

Add honey on day 3 of fermentation, diluted in a small amount of 72C water.

PS The amount of honey I suggested will give you mainly aroma. If you want a touch of honey flavour instead, increase honey to 70gm = 3 Tbsp + 1 tsp. Cheers Morrie. -Christina.

PPS Xylitol is a natural sweetener. It is made from birch trees. It is what I use. It looks a lot like sugar, measures like sugar (100% as sweet as sugar), and has no bitter aftertaste.

Aahh!----Thanks very much for that Christina.

That has definitely gone into a word document. I guess I could scale it up to 20 litres or anything for that matter. I just wonder why you would be bothered to use 1/4 satchel of yeast in 4litres. My novice ideas suggest chucking the whole satchel in on 4 litres.

Yes, you could scale the recipe up, but I would not scale up the water. Just use the minimum necessary to steep the tea bags, and dilute the honey. BTW, you may notice some "rhino farts" coming from the fermentor, especially if you use apple juice instead of cider, and the higher amount of honey, as they are nutrient poor. Might be a good idea to add a pinch of yeast nutrient/DAP/di-ammoniium phosphate 12 hours after pitching the yeast, and a smaller pinch on day 4.

Over pitching negatively affects the flavour.* It would ferment too fast. You want a slow and clean ferment.

If your finished product tastes a bit bland at bottling time, you can add a bit more lemon juice, to taste.

PS * Over pitching = not enough cell growth. Too many tired old mother cells and not enough vigorous young daughter cell.

ABV? I am not 100% sure, as the amount of water and honey you add will make a difference. The SG of most store bought juice is 1.050, and most wine yeast will give you a FG 1.000 or a little less, so ABV could be in high 6s or low 7s? Beer yeast might finish a little higher, so somewhat lower ABV.

Campden is used when you add real fruit. It serves two purposes: it chemically pasteurizes the fruit and also prevents oxidation.

Archived