Coopers Community

Airlock not bubbling after 24 hours

RayC

Can you tell me why this is happening. This is my 6th brew and the first time this has happened. No sign of condensation inside the lid, no scum around the top or froth. The only thing I did differently was to cool the wort for a short time before adding my yeast. Would this be the reason? Any help would be great thanks.

**Ignore the airlock**

It probably is fermenting - take the lid off for a moment - if it looks like cold tea it may not be fermenting, if it looks cloudy with some froth it's fermenting.

Draw off a sample and check the gravity. Assuming you used a can of brew and a kilogram of dry product to 23 litres, the original gravity will be around the 1036 - 1038 mark - if the reading of your sample is anything less than this, it's fermenting.

Couldn't agree more Josh. It'll really is a pretty bad DVD. I'm hesitant to say anything negative about Paul Mercurio's offsider in the vid. Anyone who can appear in a promotional DVD for making beer while showing such an obvious distaste for beer must be a relative or close to someone at Coopers.

I don't mind Mercurio as having seen his TV show (Mercurio's Menu) he obviously has a passion for beer but I reckon the other Paul (our leader, PB2) should make a new video with him as the star.

Sure, I'l be the star, if you want people to be physically ill when watching the vid'...

Actually , I'm in the latest cut, we spliced a few bits in and you can see my arms putting bottles in a cupboard and my hand sprinkling the yeast.

We have plans for a new vid' and we have learnt from earlier mistakes. I reckon it is likely to be more like a demonstration with a voice over - this allows for ease of future editing.

Archived