Coopers Community

Coopers Ale BBQ Sauce

Tricky

I have just been reading about the release of a BBQ sauce made by Beerenberg Farms using Coopers Ale. According to the Beerenberg web site:

"Collaborators Coopers Brewery Managing Director, Dr Tim Cooper, and Beerenberg Farm boss Anthony Paech say the circumstances that spawned the idea was far from serious - a few beers around the barbie - but the result is a seriously good barbecue sauce.

"The ingredients ... have combined to create an exciting sauce with exactly the right balance of beer, spice and fruit perfectly suited to the Aussie barbeque."

I'll have to see if I can find some in my local supermarket.

P.S. Why don't Coopers let us know about these things?

• 2 weeks later...

By jove, you're right - hang on, you sure this isn't some sort of Dorothy Dix and you work for either Coopers or Beerenberg???

Anyway, get this:

Product Name: Coopers Ale Sauce 300ml Beerenberg

Ingredients: Ale (40%) (Wheat), Sugar, Fruit, Vinegar, Molasses, Malt Extract (Wheat), Spices, Thickener (Modified Potato Starch), Salt, Natural Smoke Flavour.

OK, now with 40% ale in the product, you'd think "Woohoo!!" potent BBq sauce, as this ale is presumably alcohol based, yet..........

And more good news - it's only the taste that will intoxicate you because the alcohol is boiled off during cooking, leaving just a subtle malty flavour and bitterness from the hops in beer.

You did what ???

Well, if you're keen, visit here for a read.....

http://www.beerenberg.com.au/index.cfm?objectid=C602B774-D11C-222F-2D64C9489F435002

Wonder if my local Woolies has it.....

I guess we didn't release it as news on our site because it's technically not our product :?

Their will be a write up in the Christmas newsletter - it's running a bit behind.

We have been told that their Ale Sauce has achieved national distribution and it's already their No.1 selling sauce - GOOD ONE!

Thanks Philby and Paul. I don't work for Coopers, but I would be happy to do so if any offers came my way. (Hint, Hint)

I was a bit disappointed to read from your post that it is made from malted wheat and that there is no barley in there at all. :cry:

My oldest daughter is allergic to wheat.

So far I have checked stores within a 10 kilometer radius of home, and have while I have found other Beerenberg products, there has been no sign of the BBQ Sauce. :(

I'll see how I go next week as I go further afield.

It has 40% ale and there is plenty of malted barley in the wort that makes the ale. So, not sure why the ingredients are listed in this manner?? Next time I speak with their R&D man I shall ask the question.

Thanks Paul.

Well I finally tracked a bottle down, about 40kms from home, at the Prahran Market, from the stall that sells the honey. He had other Beerenberg products on display, so I asked about the Coopers BBQ sauce and he pulled it out from hiding behind the counter!! :o

It has a highly smoky amoma/taste, and is a bit spicy. Certainly a change from the usual BBQ sauce we buy.

At $4.30 it is worth the money, but I'm not sure if it was worth the effort in finding it.

Archived