Coopers Community

Bubbly stout

Dutchbrew76

Though I know after reading other posts that the excessive bubbling in my stout brew was something normal to have happened. I was wondering if the more control of this I have (ie kept the brew temp down) weather this effects the length of the overall brew time much. we had a couple of hot days the day after i put my brew down which rose my brew temp about 3 deg higher than i was trying to keep it.

Generally, a higher ferment temp will increase yeast activity and reduce the time for the brew to finish.

Still, look for a stable SG reading over a couple of days. You might take your first reading a day earlier than usual...

being relitivly new to brewing and being very enthusiastic with new thing i have been taking bi-daily readings and recording all the info. the brew is about 5 days old and sitting at approx 4.8% by volume though the bubbling has slowed to a vertial stand still it is still going (brewing coopers best extra stout) think i might use liquid yeast next time.

Hi Niels,

If you overdo your readings you wont have any beer left to bottle! Personally, now that I have a temp controlled fridge, I tend to leave all my ales in for about 2 weeks. They don't really need that long but it is convenient. I take a sample some time in the 7-10 mark (more for a quick taste than anything) and then a final reading at bottling.

It doesn't sound like your temps have been too extreme if it is only 3 degrees off your ideal. Relax and don't worry about the bubbles - in fact it is easier to throw away the airlock and lid and just use a bit of glad wrap secured with the o ring from the lid.

• 2 weeks later...

ok have know tasted the stout and am very pleased with the exception of one thing head retention the reciepe i used was the best extra stout recipe-Ingredients

\u2022 1.7kg can Original Series Stout

\u2022 1.5kg Thomas Coopers Dark Malt Extract

\u2022 500g Sugar/Dextrose

thier is plenty of carbination just no retention any suggestions for next time

thank you paul have just read the faq on head retention and their are three possible reasons that head retention is an issue reason 1 in faq is possible so will wash my beer glass only in hot water, the stout is only 2 and a half weeks old (in the bottle) and finally (hence the reason for this original topic) the brew had a slight run away period.

To discount your glassware - do a side-by-side comparison with your glass and a new hard crystal plastic glass pulled straight out of the plastic bag.

You may find that conditioning time will help - makng the bead finer and producing creamier, more persistant foam.

Archived