Coopers Community

FYI: Dan Murphy's Coopers Discovery Workshops

N1KK0

Hi Folks,

Not sure if this was the best area to post this but suffice to say Mods please feel free to move if I've guffed up. As a member of the 'My Dan Murphy's' marketing thingo I noticed that they've just put tickets on sale for a Coopers Discovery Workshop, which they're running at most of their stores around Oz from 21-25JAN16.

Details as listed by them is as follows:

Coopers Discovery Workshop

One of Australia's favourite brewers, Coopers sensational line-up of beers has been quenching thirsts since 1862. And now that it's high summer, there's no better time to get to know a few new favourites — along with the Dan Murphy's experts, of course!

Here's a taste of what's to come:

• Coopers 62 Pilsner
    Coopers Pale Ale
    Coopers Mild Ale
    Coopers Celebration Ale
    Coopers Sparkling Ale
    Coopers Dark Ale
    Coopers Extra Stout
    Coopers Artisan Reserve

Spaces are limited, so make sure you book early but please note, Tickets will go live for sale on Monday 28th December 2015. We look forward to seeing you there

Where: Dan Murphy's stores

When: Thursday 21 January — Monday 25 January (store dates vary)

Time: Times vary per store

Cost: Pre-order a $20 Dan Murphy's gift card. It's available for collection on arrival and redeemable on any purchase in-store or online.

I'm a complete HB newb (first brew 3 days in the primary as I write) so handy for me to get a lil more info on albeit Coopers' styles but others might find it stuff they already know - but still a very good night for essentially nothing.

FWIW I've been to several of DM's workshops and they're generally excellent......$20 fee to attend but you also get a $20 gift card for attending so thats more a tactic to ensure only folks that want to attend register. Usually a very generous bag of freebies plus they tend to open up a bunch of other stuff for you to sample on the night.

You'll have to register as a member of My Dan Murphy's to attend but its pretty pain free.

Cheers, Nick

• 1 month later...

Hi AnzacPaul,

Yes, I went along and the Coffs Harbour one completely sold out (20 attendees).

Ah well I've been to a few of the DM nights before and I'd have to say this one wasn't quite as polished as the others.

In no particular order these were my thoughts:

- It'd have been nice if they had the ENTIRE Coopers range on show, e.g there was no ESVA, Premium Light & Lager, Dr Tims, Clear.

- DM's had everyone seated in far too small an area and folks could barely move/turn etc

- It'd have been nice if the DM staff facilitated a lil more chat on the Coopers products as I found I had to engage other folks at the table myself to find out what they thought of them (which wasn't all bad as I found another budding home brewer and a few 'retired' ones).

- DM's are normally very generous with gift bags to attendees but not this time - zilch to take home - which they joked about as being 'Masters' fault for pulling the WW Group's finances down!

- The DM staff were tardy in handing out folks gift vouchers, several proceeded to leave before I told the DM staff to give them to them before they left.

Like I said generally these nights are very well done (they're essentially free $20 to attend but you get a $20 GC every time so it's just to stop folks no showing) but this one was a bit sloppy.

As for the beers.....ah look the Coopers range is very well done but the main product offerings are relatively conservative in terms of their sophistication , if only when compared to many of the craft brewers etc - so the Sparkling Ale, Pale Ale were what I knew them to be but didn't illicit wow's etc.

The 62 Pilsener is very good - and the Artisan Reserve builds on this and is a tad better. Both very enjoyable.

The best beer by far was the Celebration Ale - great complexity, balance & just a pleasure to drink. I think the Mid is the most 'drinkable' beer in their range, personally I suspect it being made partially with Wheat Malt is the secret behind this but it's a real quaffer.

The underrated beer in the range was the Dark Ale - I found that an excellent drop that is vastly superior to the better known Toohey's Old.

The only beer I came away underwhelmed by was the Export Extra Stout. Personal thing but it just had too much ash/burnt notes on the end of the palate for me to enjoy - that said a lot of others really enjoyed this.

Was still well worth attending and did definitely give me more info on the Coopers range (I was amazed by home many much older chaps had never tried Aussie staples like the Pale Ale & Sparkling - so think others enjoyed it as well!).

Cheers, Nick

Great write up, I too find the Mild Ale to be a fantastic drop, and would drink it more often if it were full strength. Dark ale is my go to as well so i'm glad you enjoyed that.

In terms of making a dark ale clone which is somethign i'm planning, i've read it's better to start with a pale ale can as the dark ale can is more bitter than its commercial brother.

Archived