Coopers Community

Hot stuff

Yasha

So, having lurked around within these groups for a little while now and brewed for the last five years 'as is' in most cases using Coopers premixes or brew shop offerings (other than experimentation with stout), your posts have inspired me and left me wondering what else to experiment with.

My husband and self really enjoy chili (have over 10 different varieties growing and bags of them in the freezer!) and have tried a few chili beers on offer from other boutique breweries around SA, but still believe it could be done better :D

So...................does anyone have a recipe or know of one that I can use with a Euro style beer :?:

Haven't done anything with chilli as yet. sideways

Although, Frank has had a go from time to time. I think he likes to use some ginger as well?? Will quiz him on Monday. Yes, my weekend starts on Thursday night....

You could simply try "dropping a birdseye chilli in a bottle instead of using priming sugar".

I keg everything Paul much preferring the instant gratification it provides and just cannot be bothered with bottling :oops:

But would be most appreciative in your asking Frank what he has done and most interested in the ginger aspect also!

Do wonder the same as AuusieJosh though :?:

I am no chemist but I am pretty sure that a chlli contains a fair amount of sugar, surely it wouldn't be too big an ask to bottle one longneck primed with a chilli to try it, after all, you are only risking one bottle as opposed to complete brews when trying some experiments.

I love chilli as well and make some pretty good suaces and pastes with my chillies, but I don't fancy them in beer! I used to get on the homebrew and beer site a few years ago, there was always plenty of crazy stuff happening there, you might want to try and find it and search for chilli beer, I do remember people talking a fair bit about chilli beer on there. I guess the site is still active, I think the address was something like

homebrewandbeer.com.au

Thanks Ross, but I don't bottle my beer as cannot be bothered with the messing around involved.

Thanks for the thread link Luke :!: Some interesting banter about the topic and has given me enough information to do something with for the moment :)

Given you started this thread, I noticed that you made comment on the result of the bottled experiment but not the brew in the keg :!: How did it go do you remember :?:

Cheers......Yasha

G'day Yasha,

Yeah you made mention that you don't bottle, I simply meant you might like to try one bottle out of your brew before you keg it, if it was successful you could progress to something for a whole brew in a keg...just a thought.

Hi Yasha, I did that experiment before I started kegging! I did 2 batches the same, one had the chilli tea bag in the fermenter and the other didn't have any chillies at all. (I added them to the bottles once it was finished.)

The chilli tea-bag batch tasted like capsicums :P but it disappeared with a lot of age and the heat came through (very mild).

Thanks Ross & Luke,

Have just popped a brew on so will think about what I am going to do in the meantime :?

Will let you know what I do/how it turns out if I decide to chili the brew :)

Marcia

Archived