Coopers Community

DEAD YEAST, REPITCHED, AM I MORE OPEN TO INFECTION NOW?

THIRSTY MATT

hi all,

my first yeast died, i rehydrated 2 x original series yeast 24hrs after mixing and got a good 1011 ish final gravity.

i have dropped temp to 14 over two days, i can keg/bottle now, but i would like to leave until wednesday to clear a little more.

the beer is not exceptionally murky, and shows no signs of infection.

Am i more open to infection because my wort had that laggy 24hour period???

cheers

matt

The brew is down to around 1011 and you have not let us in on your recipe - perhaps 1011 is FG??

Why do you think the yeast has died? Dropping the temp only serves to make the yeast go dormant.

sorry dude,

i didnt write that one up very good......it was real ale, 1.5kg caramalt liquid.

i got the gravity i expected, but was just wondering if :

Because i had a 24hour lagg period where my first yeast died and my second yeast got pitched, am i more open to infection if i leave the beer to clear after fermentation has finished??

is my beer a lil vunerable now??

cheers

matt

Let me get this straight in my "beer brain" ...

Time Zero - You pitched a yeast and it died.

Time +24hrs - you pitched two sachets of Original Series Yeast and it fermented.

Time +3days - you want to leave it another 3 days (Wednesday) to clear.

Yes, there is some risk in leaving a brew 24hrs with no fermentaion activity. However, if this is what has happened so far, give or take a day. Have a smell and a taste of the brew and if it seems okay it probably is!

How did you kill the first yeast and how did you determine that it had died?

ok ,

bingo!

exactly what happened!

i pitched a brewcellar american ale yeast (not rehydrated) at 26 degrees.

the next day (24hrs later) it had sunk to the bottom and there was no fermentation activity!

it had to be dead as temp had only lowered too 22degrees.

it fermented ok after second pitching!

the brew is ok going on taste n smell.

i just wondered if like : THE DIACETYL HYPOTINUSE ALTERNATING SUGARS convert to CHEMICALUS which feeds BAD YEAST ...BLA BLA BLA (joking...im a dill)

:lol: i just thought the beer might still be more "fragile" or "vunerbale" even though it fermented fine!

what i was worried about was, is "the 24 hour period when nothing happened", the only time the beer is really easy for an infection?

:D bugger it ill keg it right now!!

cheers

matt

Thanks for the laugh.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. Paul, I recon that Thirsty Matt should get honorary lifetime Cooper's membership, to ensure that he stays on the board.

The entertainment value we get from him is priceless.

not at all mate,

i think i was just a little paranoid with this one as it was over 30 bucks worth of beer, and its one i want to get right , and am dying too taste.

and sometimes when i come after 12 hours in sydney traffic im just on a different wavelength!! :D

.............maybe i should go back to interstate driving....public showers, public dunnies, beer once a week only......YEAH RIGHT!!! :lol:

cheers

matt

Archived