Coopers Community

volcanic

doug

Hi All

just wondering if anyone can tell me why some of my stubbies

keep frothing out when i open them. I get maybe one in a dozen

that is volcanic but when put in a glass has no bubbles :?

im the same carb drops for me!

sounds like you are bottling too early mate, it hasnt finished fermenting.

your putting it in the bottle and it is eating the carb drops PLUS the rest of the sugar it should have fermented before bottling,this all becomes gas in an air tight bottle,,,,therefore volcano dude!!

if ya ever not sure if its ready too bottle then leave it for a couple more days...it wont hurt this time of year.

next brew, type in here what ya mixed up e.g. lager n brew enhancer2 or whatever. then someone in here will give you an idea of what final gravity ya looking for .

hydrometers are a bugger to use, what i do is...fill the tube, go have a shower, wash dishes n come back n read it after its gone a bit flat.

check it ten times,,,the lowest reading you get is the right one.

cheers

matt

Thanks for your help Matt. I mainly make pale but as a light with 250g

BH2 also make stout with 1kg bh2. You could be right with the fermenting

sometimes its there for a week sometimes 2 weeks depending when I get

time to bottle. Just bottled an english bitter thats been in for 2 weeks

will see how it goes.

cheers Doug

Doug, if it's only happening with the odd bottle in a batch, it's more likely to be an oversized carbo drop (the odd bigg'n or littl'n can slip into a pack) or the bottle is not cleaned adequately - infection. Probably the former, if it doesn't smell or taste weird, compared to the other bottles.

In my early days (circa 1987), I made up a wheat beer dry pack and it turned out really nice. Encouraged by this, I bought a dark version of the dry wheat pack - the whole lot gushed when opened. Just a steady flow of foam leaving only about 1/3 of the bottle behind. When poured into a glass, it had very little fizz and a funky aroma which I tried to convince myself to be the "wheat beer" character (like marzipan icing) when, in fact, it was an infection :roll: Didn't know too much about wheat beer characteristics in those days but the pumpkin patch ended up appreciating it, producing an excellent batch of butternuts!

A learning experience - note to self, be more thorough with cleaning and sanitising the fermenting tub :oops:

Yeah, I am with Paul, in my early days of brewing I had the same thing, unclean bottles, it seemed to be the odd bottle that didn't get rinsed while wet, then a quick rinse and brush at bottling time would not remove all the dried yeast from the bottle an vwalla! a volcano!..........or the odd Kablooey!

Archived