Coopers Community

Does any one know how much ten fermentation produces

Hi all I'm new to brewing and this is my first post on here I have been reading posts on here for about two months and know some one on here may be able to help me, thanks in advance. I'm doing a test in my shed in Lobethal to see if I can keep water at a temp between 18-21 but I know when yeast is active it produces heat I'm not sure how much tho I know one of you intelligent brewers will know. Also any tips or tricks I should know feel free to post them too. Thanks

Hello and welcome, Candlestick Maker

Bad luck for drawing the short straw, but I'll do what I can to help. You're absolutely right that fermenting causes heat to be generated, but don't get too concerned. Normally you can ignore that as being something to factor in because even if it rises a degree or so during the middle of the day, that will be quickly lost as it cools later in the afternoon.

Even with particularly aggressive yeasts heavily pitched in high OG worts, I'd suggest you'd be flat out getting a 2-3C rise. To be honest, I'd worry about many other things first.

This is a little outdated but might still be a useful primer.

I'm not sure if I can even get it to 16c in the shed over night tho I'll test for a week it get down below zero here and the shed has no insulation I've wrapped it in blankets and its on a brew mat it's already down to 18c on the first night.

Perhaps there's a room in the house that's not normally heated that might be able to stay between, say, 17 and 22C. The laundry? A second bathroom that's not normally used? The wife's side of the bed? I agree insulation is good to even out temp swings (some inventive people here like The Mad Man from Canberra, or our top teacher Mr Chipps have done some clever things with it). I've even recruited sleeping bags when I needed to.

Archived