Coopers Community

New Brew - English Bitter

Peter in the ACT

I put the New EB down last night with 1kg of DML. Filled the fermenter to 23ltrs. It had a SG of 1036 at around 22 deg c.

I don't normally bother with reading the SG/FG but I thought I would do the calculations on this one to see what % of alc will be.

I shall let you know in ten days what the FG is.

Paul, I noted that the yeast was an Ale Yeast and not a blend as with some of the other International Series. :?:

Cheers

Peter

p.s. good weather temp wise to brew at the moment. :D

I just finished putting mine on tonight aswell! I did it as per instructions just with the 500g LDM. I did not bother taking a reading i just guess the alc will be aprox 3.9% as it says on the LDM box. I normaly take it downstairs in to the bar were it sits on 18c day and night, but it was pissing with rain tonight and i have to go outside, so i left it in a room upstairs. it should brew well in the low 20s... i may move it to the bar tomorrow...

I noticed with the LDM, it did not really disolve, it just turned in to large chunks with holes in it...kinda like a bone with osteoporosis. I took a pic and could post it tomorrow if this is not common and you would like to see. I did as per instrction. The LDM the can of EB and 2L of boiling water.

Anyway ill leave it for 6 days take a reading then another on day 7...if there the same ill bottle and leave for 2 weeks then try some! 3 weeks and counting! Thanks again coopers and Paul!

Nostrovia!!!

I hope yours turns out well Peter!

Josh,

My DLM did the same thing.

I have spoken to Paul about this in the past and he advised that it is not an issue as it will breakdown during the fermentation process.

I was impressed with the deep rich colour the wort had and after measuring the SG I had a taste which was ok.

I shall give it a rating of 1 - 5 smiley faces in due course.

Cheers

Peter

I must admit i am BIg on reading instructions! I guess now i have done a few brews i thought i was th expert! Anyway i think/hope the Brew will turn out fine!!?? If i like the tatse of it next time ill put Twice the ammount of LDM to bring the alc to around 5%

The malt tends to dissolve over an hour or so anyway.

The main issue; malt clumps cause a less than homogenous brew, producing incorrect OG readings - if you are into taking a SG reading at the start.

• 1 month later...

i got two questions:

for paul:

cause im a pest:

the yeast with new english bitter, is it any different from other coopers "ale" yeasts??????

(i got heapsa yeasts in the fridge, i wanna add 14grams if possible?)

also, why is the "original draught" suitable as a light beer? (as in zephyr light recipe?)

does it have an aroma hop???

thanks

matt

p.s.actually thats three questions!

The yeast with the English Bitter is our yeast strain, the same strain in the Original Series.

Any brew can could be used as a light beer. I picked Draught because it isn't over the top with bitterness while the small amount of crystal gives it a bit of flavour. It contains only bittering hops - PoR at the start of the boil.

Archived